Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Not much action in the community.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everyone,

I have been here a little over a year. Joe was out scouting for new members and trying to grow the community. Even mentioned TC coins which sounded like a good idea for just posting. It would be his way of showing appreciation. I'm sure he is out of pocket on quite a few things associated with this website.

First of all, I would like to thank the everyone that has posted and capture the hunt on video. Thanks to the author, some post are very details describing the environment and the signals. Also describing present and past data.This is very helpful in formation. They deserve a big accolades in my book. Thank you.

I should take a little more time with my posting. I'm guilty of rushing, sometimes using my phone with the small screen makes it more difficult. No excuses really.

I have met some really nice people here that are really good at metal detecting. But to me the best quality is their kindness. I'm from the South and for the most part you will see more hospitality in the South. (Don't mistake this for weakness) I know in other geographical area people sometimes aren't as friendly.

When you or I post something I look forward to seeing everyone's response. A little hell yea, good job and tell more is rewarding too. Sharing the excitement. When you post, I feel you excitement and I'm happy for you. I will always chime in and share the moment with you.

You noticed I said always, well sometimes it gets lost because I was busy with life and its no longer a new post. No excuse, I normally go looking for those threads I haven't commented on or at least I should. If I want to continue our relationship and help the site grow.

I NEED TO TELL SOME OF YOU SOMETHING. Some of you and you know who you are. The ones that never post and stay in the shadows enjoying the threads could go take a hike. I do not know you, and you are not adding value to this site.

The others ones are here and post and comment to certain users and not all post.
Some kind of buddy system or a circle jerk with a pivot man.

I can tell everyone this, going forward if you do not show me courtesy by sharing a response when I post then I will do the same to you. I won't even look at your finds and could careless on what you have to say. I know who has and who hasn't.

I also see takers here. It is sad, when the site has something free. This place blows up with excitement and most the prizes went to people that probably did not deserve it. But you won fairly, and I'm basing on your participation before the event and yes after the event. Some folk earned it, before and after the contest.

Before I leave, maybe forever. I want to say thank you to several people for always posting, replying to my post and others. These people seem genuine and make this site a better place. They have always made me feel welcome.

Njnydigger
OhioDirtfisher
Shadeseeker
Digsit
Bigtony
RelicMedic.
Sven has helped me and much appreciated.
Scott when he was around. Hope he is doing well, he is missed.

Zach is a hit & miss. But thankful when he does reply.

The new members like Cladjunky, Riverteamsixdetectors has been kind too. If I missed someone that always replies to my post. I'm sorry, and please clarify.

I got a list of names that have never chimed in on my post and some that has only a few times. But I have responded a lot of times to their post and I have grown tired.

I know some of you don't care how I feel and that's your right. But I do not think the site will stand the times if we do not come together as a thriving community.

The END...
Hello Updown. I can easily see that there is a lot of emotion and thought behind your post. Sometimes strong words get an idea across very effectively and serve as a stunning wake up call. It took courage to speak out like that. I guess it's what we used to call in the Army a "gut check".  It wouldn't hurt for all of us to reassess our contributions to the forum from time to time and see where we come up lacking.

I have tried in recent weeks to get a little conversation going with posts in different categories, mainly to keep the forum active in mid-week, when finds reports naturally slow down. Some got a little traction, others failed badly. For now, I'm willing to assume they were just plain lame anyway and not worthy of much response.  I was just about to try another one dealing with a friendly invitation to participate when I saw your latest comments. So I'll just back off that thought and see what responses you get from your latest. You may have stepped on a few toes, but in my opinion, that just makes us better dancers.

One last thought. I truly look forward to your posts. Your presence on the beach adds a great perspective on our hobby that I can't experience on my own, and your posts/replies are always good and helpful. I don't want you to leave, plain and simple. We need you here.
Updownup I hope you do not leave I enjoy your posts and the perspective you give when you comment on others posts.
   If you are truly fed up with how things work , I hope you take a short break and then come back with more enthusiasm than ever. If you do not come back I will miss you and I will still feel better for the comradiery we had while you were here.
  I think we all owe Joe a huge thank you for all he puts into this site both monetarily and time and effort. I am guilty of not expressing that and this post drove that home.
  So thank you Joe and to the rest of the staff and to you Updown.
Pat
(11-10-2016 09:55 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone,

I have been here a little over a year. Joe was out scouting for new members and trying to grow the community. Even mentioned TC coins which sounded like a good idea for just posting. It would be his way of showing appreciation. I'm sure he is out of pocket on quite a few things associated with this website.

First of all, I would like to thank the everyone that has posted and capture the hunt on video. Thanks to the author, some post are very details describing the environment and the signals. Also describing present and past data.This is very helpful in formation. They deserve a big accolades in my book. Thank you.

I should take a little more time with my posting. I'm guilty of rushing, sometimes using my phone with the small screen makes it more difficult. No excuses really.

I have met some really nice people here that are really good at metal detecting. But to me the best quality is their kindness. I'm from the South and for the most part you will see more hospitality in the South. (Don't mistake this for weakness) I know in other geographical area people sometimes aren't as friendly.

When you or I post something I look forward to seeing everyone's response. A little hell yea, good job and tell more is rewarding too. Sharing the excitement. When you post, I feel you excitement and I'm happy for you. I will always chime in and share the moment with you.

You noticed I said always, well sometimes it gets lost because I was busy with life and its no longer a new post. No excuse, I normally go looking for those threads I haven't commented on or at least I should. If I want to continue our relationship and help the site grow.

I NEED TO TELL SOME OF YOU SOMETHING. Some of you and you know who you are. The ones that never post and stay in the shadows enjoying the threads could go take a hike. I do not know you, and you are not adding value to this site.

The others ones are here and post and comment to certain users and not all post.
Some kind of buddy system or a circle jerk with a pivot man.

I can tell everyone this, going forward if you do not show me courtesy by sharing a response when I post then I will do the same to you. I won't even look at your finds and could careless on what you have to say. I know who has and who hasn't.

I also see takers here. It is sad, when the site has something free. This place blows up with excitement and most the prizes went to people that probably did not deserve it. But you won fairly, and I'm basing on your participation before the event and yes after the event. Some folk earned it, before and after the contest.

Before I leave, maybe forever. I want to say thank you to several people for always posting, replying to my post and others. These people seem genuine and make this site a better place. They have always made me feel welcome.

Njnydigger
OhioDirtfisher
Shadeseeker
Digsit
Bigtony
RelicMedic.
Sven has helped me and much appreciated.
Scott when he was around. Hope he is doing well, he is missed.

Zach is a hit & miss. But thankful when he does reply.

The new members like Cladjunky, Riverteamsixdetectors has been kind too. If I missed someone that always replies to my post. I'm sorry, and please clarify.

I got a list of names that have never chimed in on my post and some that has only a few times. But I have responded a lot of times to their post and I have grown tired.

I know some of you don't care how I feel and that's your right. But I do not think the site will stand the times if we do not come together as a thriving community.

The END...

Up, I agree with what Shade said…

It takes balls to speak one’s mind, especially if others mightn’t like what you say. So, I appreciate your detailed post, and for sharing your thoughts.

I try my hardest - as many members here do, as well - to make this place as inviting as possible. To help stimulate activity. To further community relations. And a bunch of other things. But, yes, I agree…

There are some who wish to remain in the shadows, for whatever reason, and choose not to partake in our community. It is their right, and there’s very little any one of us can do to change that. What really irks me though, is more of what you’re speaking about. The many members here that HAVE come out of the shadows, yet, rarely post, don’t get involved, only care about getting applause for their finds, yada, yada, yada. They’re like the big shots on the basketball team that simply want to shoot the ball, in the hopes of sinking a shot to hear applause, instead of passing the ball to others so EVERYONE can be involved, and the team prospers as a whole. These types like to get a pat on the back after making a good find (like we all do), but rarely find the time to return the compliment to someone else.

I understand this is a hobby for most of us. We don’t have unlimited free time to sit in front of a computer screen for hours on end, surfing a metal detecting forum. But damnit, if you choose to be a part of a community, do your best to PITCH IN! I know it isn’t always possible, as even I get busy often, and am away from the site for short stints. But I try and do my best when I AM here. That is all I ask in return from anyone else.

It burns my britches that a good member of ours feels he gets the cold shoulder from some. I’m a realist, and fully understand the laws of human nature. Not everyone is going to like each other. That’s normal. Just like at your job, in the community you live, etc. But civility and kindness are still necessary, IMO. I have people who live in my building who are the biggest pain in the asses ever. And they might feel the same about me. But it doesn’t mean if I see one fall down a flight of stairs I won’t help them. Or if we cross paths I won’t give them a smile or a hello. Common courtesy.

I think we can all do a bit more, or try a little harder when it comes to this community, including myself. We ALL love this hobby tremendously. That is the glue which binds us together. Nothing else matters when here. Do your best to give back to the community. Do you best to treat others with the same respect you wish to receive. Our members see everything, and they know who the givers are, and who the bullshit artists are. I don’t think anyone wants to be viewed as being the latter.

(11-11-2016 12:22 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Updown. I can easily see that there is a lot of emotion and thought behind your post. Sometimes strong words get an idea across very effectively and serve as a stunning wake up call. It took courage to speak out like that. I guess it's what we used to call in the Army a "gut check".  It wouldn't hurt for all of us to reassess our contributions to the forum from time to time and see where we come up lacking.

I have tried in recent weeks to get a little conversation going with posts in different categories, mainly to keep the forum active in mid-week, when finds reports naturally slow down. Some got a little traction, others failed badly. For now, I'm willing to assume they were just plain lame anyway and not worthy of much response.  I was just about to try another one dealing with a friendly invitation to participate when I saw your latest comments. So I'll just back off that thought and see what responses you get from your latest. You may have stepped on a few toes, but in my opinion, that just makes us better dancers.

One last thought. I truly look forward to your posts. Your presence on the beach adds a great perspective on our hobby that I can't experience on my own, and your posts/replies are always good and helpful. I don't want you to leave, plain and simple. We need you here.

If every member (not just a few) followed your lead, this would be a thriving, powerhouse of a community, Shade. But this is the "Me" generation, unfortunately. Lots of takers, but few givers. Everything worth doing in life takes WORK, plain and simple. You're a good man, and I think I speak for all of us here, when I say thanks for being a great steward of our home Yes

(11-11-2016 09:48 AM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]Updownup I hope you do not leave I enjoy your posts and the perspective you give when you comment on others posts.
   If you are truly fed up with how things work , I hope you take a short break and then come back with more enthusiasm than ever. If you do not come back I will miss you and I will still feel better for the comradiery we had while you were here.
  I think we all owe Joe a huge thank you for all he puts into this site both monetarily and time and effort. I am guilty of not expressing that and this post drove that home.
  So thank you Joe and to the rest of the staff and to you Updown.
Pat

No need for thanks, as, this might sound a bit selfish, but I not only have this place up for you guys, but also for my own satisfaction and love for the hobby. So, believe me, I want our community to thrive more than anyone. The fact is though...

We all have to do our part. I can get on the bullhorn everyday, and try to rile the members up, coax more activity, etc., but if people don't WANT to do it, it ain't gonna work. Remember, I'm not asking anyone to do anything for ME, but rather for the health of our community as a whole. I don't get $10 each time someone posts. There's no bonus for me if there's move activity here. This is purely a labor of love. I want a positive, strong willed home that WE can all enjoy and call our own.
Post deleted. Sorry you feel the way you do. I'm probably going to hit the road for awhile. Take it easy all and hh
updownup , sorry I haven't been around to boost your ego with boilerplate attaboys but I really don't give a crap what you find or what you perceive as Southern hospitality.
You sound like a spoiled little brat.
(11-11-2016 08:39 PM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Post deleted. Sorry you feel the way you do. I'm probably going to hit the road for awhile. Take it easy all and hh

Zach, are you "hitting the road" because of Up's post? If so, may I ask why? He voiced his opinion on a few things, which we may, or may not agree with, but it doesn't make his opinion any less valid.

If we cannot enjoy the freedom of personal expression here, not sure what the point is.

You're a good guy, but if you feel you need to let off some steam away from our community, for whatever reason, do what you must, and you're always welcome back.

(11-11-2016 08:47 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]updownup , sorry I haven't been around to boost your ego with boilerplate attaboys but I really don't give a crap what you find or what you perceive as Southern hospitality.
You sound like a spoiled little brat.

Dusty, I've spoken with you on more than a few occasions, and I know you're not the type of guy who would make a statement like that. It's a bit harsh, and outside of your character, but maybe I'm wrong.

Again, Up posted his opinions, nothing more. You may not agree with them, you may even think they're totally baseless, but they're his, and he had the heart to publicly post them. Let's be honest and call a spade a spade here...

The primary reason these forums exist (including this one), is so we can show off our finds. Most people outside of the hobby think we're nuts, and only a few understand what drives us, what motivates us to go out and do what we do. And it takes a shitload of work. So, yeah, I think most of us like getting a pat on our back from our peers, whether we care to admit it or not. I'm not saying that's why we do what we do, but a little recognition never hurt anybody.

I certainly don't want a community where members feel they must respond to every post. That's unrealistic and takes the fun out of it. But I also don't want to have a community where people play favorites, let jealousy get the better of them or become hostile to one another, kind of like what's happening in this thread.

I'm not here to play referee, but a member simply voiced a few opinions, nothing more. And because some my not agree with them, tempers are flaring and people are taking a forum vacation. Reasonable???
Well, I'm not sure how I feel about my posting. I was sharing my observation and how I felt.

Zach, I apologize if I offended you. I enjoy your posts and I think you are a nice guy and a assets to the community. A couple of times I posted and was waiting on your response but it never happened. In return I returned the favor and stopped replying to your post. Maybe I should not expect a close relationship with virtual friends.

I agree, we shouldn't expect everyone to reply to every post. I know sometimes we are limited to the amount of time to reply and just give a canned response. "Nice find, good job, etc." That is better than no response.

Dusty, I do not think you have ever commented on any of my post and I have not seen much activity from you at all, so mutual feelings. As far as you knowing me you're not even close.

I made a few mistakes on kicking the post off. I was trying to avoid putting names out there. Because I knew I would miss some folks that have added value to the site. You take guys like Khouse providing anti-glare solution for LCD screens and Nick A with research to help folks with reuniting items with family and identifying items. Their kindness is appreciated.

There is another guy, (Sorry I can't think of his name) that has given to the community multiple times. He sent me some treasure magazines and I this was very nice of him. I'm probably missing others, again sorry.

If I could redo this post I would have taken out all names. Not that the people I mentioned are not worthy of praise but to just bring up the issues I feel the site is facing.

I think a metal detecting site should be a friendly place where we can go to shows our finds and help others with their success in the hobby.

Anyway, I just wanted people to think about the site and how they could help better the place. Sometimes it feels like a ghost town, and only a handful of people are contributing.
I'm glad you came back on this morning to explain your post and your feelings, as it might serve to clear the air somewhat. I also want to thank you for stepping up and apologizing to Zach. I have known him and Cassandra outside the forum for some time now, and they are both "the best" in my estimation. Zach puts heart and soul into detecting and into the forum. He makes a great effort to post,respond, instruct, congratulate etc. but like all of us there are times and reasons when he's away from MDing and TC and just can't post. I can promise you there  was no intent on his part to ignore your posts. 

There are problems with participation on the forum, something that Joe has been addressing for a long time. Obviously more participation equals a better site. If your message pushes some members who have been quiet to become active then we will all benefit.   Also I'd like to urge you to stay on board and stay active, even when you might feel inclined not to do so. If we lose your voice as well, then we've lost twice. 

Best wishes to all for great hunting, great postings, great TC forum.
It can seem a bit slow now and then since i have joined but then again I think of those times as people out hunting up something to post. My posts are not really to exciting LOTS of clad Happy but I do appreciated the Attaboys for just digging 40-60 holes on the weekend. I came from a facebook page that was being used as a forum and that was Really really slow Like waiting for peanut butter to drip. Pennypop is not a poster he is a reader but he also appreciates the forums and all the work from members to staff.

p.s. I use a butter knife I don't actually wait for my peanut butter to drip onto the bread!
Reference URL's