Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #57 & 58, Slow Go but Steady
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Haven't had a good deal of luck in the last 7 days. A Sunoco token, a GM Motorama token from 1954, (both not shown but on video), an Iguana pin, a simple cross which was apparently gold plated at one time, and other than what's shown, a lot of clad and memorials. From all over the place, as I can cover a great deal of ground in 7 days.

Today after work I decided to venture alongside some roadway parking areas where a gazillion people park during Trout and Steely season here in Ohio. This is mostly grass but inundated with slag iron and bits and pieces of automotive scrap from accidents over the years. So it was a noisy and slow go even with settings set to mask the iron. This was with the AT Pro and the 5x8 coil. I only dug signals that were 80+ on the meter and left everything else go.

I hit the first Merc as soon as I got there. Turned out to be a forty one plain, in pretty decent shape but stained pretty bad. Then around 12 feet and 2 minutes away, get the same signal and out pops another Merc, a 36 plain. Got both of these in the plug on stills and video. They were 1" and 1.5 inches down respectfully. At first I thought I had hit a silver mine, but even with digging clad quarters and memorials at 6 to 8" down, spent the remaining time before dark, about 2 hours, finding nothing but clad and Memorials and one lonesome 49D Wheat.

The weather here on average has been the greatest I've ever seen for this time of year, but, I still have to go out in the mornings to work all dressed up because Fall is making its presence known. I don't know if it's the extra weight with the clothing/boots or not hydrating enough because it's cooler, but I am falling asleep writing this at 7:17pm EST! I mean I am dog a$$ whooped. I'm taking tomorrow off and compiling more than one video so you can see some of the stuff I've dug for the last three weeks.

Other than that, Have FUN out there Guys and Gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF
Congrats on the silvers Ed! I'm sure many more are to come. Along with....gold!
Best of luck and happy hunting,
Zach
Nice silvers Ed! I like the cross too. 
   I think the time change is kicking every bodies a$$. It looks like you have found yet another great hunting spot.
HH
Pat
Nothing wrong with slow and steady when the numbers are adding up like they are for you Ed. If you keep finding, I'll keep reading! Why were the dimes so shallow--hard pack? on top of all the iron? Curious.
Congratulations Ed! That's what I have been attempting to do, think out of the box and find a cool site, WTG very smart thinking
Ed, you're doing OH detectorists proud Yes I know you guys have to work a bit harder for your oldies there, as your state doesn't necessarily have the extensive settled history of a place like NY, NJ or CT, but you make it look easy, which is a testament to your disciplined hunting and calculated choosing of spots.

You got me beat for the beat for the year, and I don't say that due to rivalry, but out of respect. You put in the time, you know your equipment, and you have the smarts to find the right spots, and therefore deserve the spoils Beer
(11-11-2016 10:46 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing wrong with slow and steady when the numbers are adding up like they are for you Ed. If you keep finding, I'll keep reading! Why were the dimes so shallow--hard pack? on top of all the iron? Curious.

Shade,

I think the hardpack issue is the answer on these 2 and the wheat, which also was only an inch down in a humus gravel mix. Both Mercs had a gray, almost glue like, patina, which leads me to believe they sat there in a mix of asphalt and limestone gravel for a while. Granted there is grass there now, but grass can grow on almost anything if left undisturbed with the exception of mowing. Although the one was found about 10 feet from the actual roadbed the other was about 3 feet from it. So I'm guessing one fell from the passenger side of a vehicle and the other the drivers side. What I did was cover both assumed paths, passenger and driver sides, very carefully, from the moment I got there. It could be guys or gals donning and removing waders. This area is very close to a fishing hotspot.

Ed

(11-11-2016 10:36 PM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]Nice silvers Ed! I like the cross too. 
   I think the time change is kicking every bodies a$$. It looks like you have found yet another great hunting spot.
HH
Pat

Yes Pat, I have to agree. Although working with gloves on and trying to maneuver with heavier clothing is a task I forgot all about over the Summer. I really feel for those guys and gals up there in the space station when they have to go outside and do tasks! I'm using a tactical belt now adorned with pouches, scabbard and an insulated water bottle carrier. I wound up sewing the main pouch right onto the belt thinking I had adjusted it out enough for length but even taking the adjustment as far as I can on the right side of the belt, it's a hold your breath moment to get the thing buckled over all this clothing and my beer gut!Chuckle

Ed

(11-11-2016 11:19 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations Ed! That's what I have been attempting to do, think out of the box and find a cool site, WTG very smart thinking

Thanks Big T! I was surprised as well. Those roads down there are all paved and pretty now but at one time were just dirt and gravel roads connecting farmers fields and major urban routes. So in reality the whole berm everywhere is fair game now. Also, that fella Paul the Horseman mentioned to me, he found those 2 halves, one from 1836 and the other from 1853 (?) right alongside the road several miles away. So horsedrawn wagons were taking those routes undoubtedly!!!! Only thing I'm concerned about is getting run over working real close to the road. Guess it's yellow vest time!

Ed

(11-12-2016 12:36 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, you're doing OH detectorists proud Yes I know you guys have to work a bit harder for your oldies there, as your state doesn't necessarily have the extensive settled history of a place like NY, NJ or CT, but you make it look easy, which is a testament to your disciplined hunting and calculated choosing of spots.

You got me beat for the beat for the year, and I don't say that due to rivalry, but out of respect. You put in the time, you know your equipment, and you have the smarts to find the right spots, and therefore deserve the spoils Beer

Thanks Joe! I appreciate that. What I really regret is not taking up this hobby earlier in my life as I worked in all those states for the better part of 10 years. And sometimes it's not brainpower at all. I just chose to go there and "look/see" instead of humping my dressed up self through the woods. I was tired and really lazy (efficient) so opted for flat roadside grass and a hunch! It paid off so I'm happy! Yes

Ed
Expect little or nothing and you will be surprised alot!

Nice dimes Ed now get your waders on so I can skip rocks at you while you do the lakeshore Happy
(11-12-2016 04:09 PM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]Expect little or nothing and you will be surprised alot!

Nice dimes Ed now get your waders on so I can skip rocks at you while you do the lakeshore Happy

Thanks John! I just spent the last three hours putting together the video. That I messed up horribly! Got that sand scoop and tried it on dry sand over at W$!@**(! Lake. She needs water because she's a dredger! What you doing Sunday?

Ed
(11-12-2016 11:38 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-12-2016 04:09 PM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]Expect little or nothing and you will be surprised alot!

Thanks John! I just spent the last three hours putting together the video. That I messed up horribly! Got that sand scoop and tried it on dry sand over at W$!@**(! Lake. She needs water because she's a dredger! What you doing Sunday?

Ed

Hitting a small park near me I got 3 wheats at before, Sat I got a Rosie out of it so gonna go back for more with Pops. But we can be easily be convinced to meet somewhere just got off call. Call or text
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's