Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Lots of food plus other activities on vacation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was told by a little birdy they liked my food threads and such and another who enjoyed my posts so i figured i would make one of my vacation. So I wanted to share the food I ate while I was away on vacation in Lancaster, PA home of the Amish since the beginning.
I went to two smorgasbords(basically family buffet,very popular there) Miller's and shady maple.

First pictures will be of millers. I liked millers better overall but it's price was double of shady maple. Worth it in my opinion.
2nd group is from shady maple. Food wasn't as good but it was huge. 10x the size of millers. Plus maybe 5x more the amount of different foods, which was a plus.
By the way, I was obviously stuffed. But I couldn't help it.

We did a couple couple of other activities as well, Samson the play at sight and sound theatre, pretty cool and good with live animals and such.
Amish country bus and store tour.
Indian echo caverns which was really pretty and had some cool history to it.
Lots of food and other things that included dollar bills and poles. Kidding. I WISH! haha.

I'd recommend lancaster, PA a destination to go if you're ever able too. Lots of stuff to do and a fun trip.

Enjoy and HH

P.s not much found from my 7 hrs hunt today, buddy got some good stuff. I did get a glass horse rosette which was cool and a couple other relics but the button man didn't strike any buttons or old coins.
Will be going out for about as long as yesterday and hope to have some better luck. Will post all finds tomorrow night or wednesday.
I feel like Pavlov's dog---I'm salivating like crazy Zach!  Did you actually eat all that?  I hope you didn't schedule too much detecting, you wouldn't have been able to bend over to pick up a prize silver coin after packing away one of those feasts.
 Looks like you had a great vacation.
 Many Amish families are moving into our area now. They are making what was once a fairly run down part of our county real neat and productive again. And a drive through makes you wonder if you might really be in Pennsylvania. Great folks and glad to call them neighbors.
Editing here: Your pics of the cave, the horse , and you and Cassandra didn't load first time I looked. Gets better all the time. You two make a fine looking pair.
Millers was the first two plates and I ate it all, was stuffed. Had the play right after and was sick!
Shady maple was the day after and I was still full, I ate most of the 2nd plate but became way to full and over stuffed.
Today was 2 days after shady maple and I did just fine detecting, belly was empty. Although I did just eat a huge bowl of chili and a grilled cheese.
I'd throw up if I tried to detect after those meals...lol.
They were saying how Amish and others have been moving all over the country, good to hear they are making it better around there, good people. Let's hope they open up a Amish market around there soon. Best place in the world, I go every week to a local one with cassandra.
ohhh food! sounds like a fun vacation ohhh Food!... I'm not gonna lie I'm a big man and I really Enjoy those pics! When my father was into wood working we would travel to a Amish woodmill then to a planar the Woodmill owner would invite us to his house they used a underground stream to keep food fresh in the cellar!
Hahaha!!! Too funny!!! It's a small damned world Z man, the family and I went up to Lancaster also, a couple months back! We stayed at the Steamboat Inn hotel, and we drove by the Sight & Sound theater quite a few times, but passed on the Samson show. However...

We DID hit Indian Echo!!! It was a long drive from Lancaster, but worth it Yes Did you see the coins they found when renovating the cave, which were in the gift shop? Very cool. Our tour guide was great, and was very funny. Did they turn out the lights when they took you in last section? Our guide did, and it was pitch black, couldn't see my hand in front of my face!

I asked the guide after the tour was over, if metal detecting was allowed on the property, but she wasn't sure. I had to ask though Chuckle

I passed by sooooo many old homes & farms when up there, I was kicking myself I didn't bring my detector. But I was on vacation, lol.
After looking at your photos again, that looks like the Steamboat Inn with the gazebo! Or am I mistaken? Would be real funny if we stayed at the same hotel Yes
That is a nice spread of food. Sounds and looks delicious!

Lots of fun I bet and I know my wife and I would enjoying having a vacation in Amish country. We have never experience the Amish community, only through the television shows and your threads.

You did a great job making that food pop in the photos. I'm hungry, and my dinner is not going to be as appealing. Hahaha.

We know who to ask if we every get up to PA. You know the location of good food, old coins and relics! My wife is only interested in the food and tours.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Hope you had good luck today on your hunt. If not, maybe next time!
(11-14-2016 12:51 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Hahaha!!! Too funny!!! It's a small damned world Z man, the family and I went up to Lancaster also, a couple months back! We stayed at the Steamboat Inn hotel, and we drove by the Sight & Sound theater quite a few times, but passed on the Samson show. However...

We DID hit Indian Echo!!! It was a long drive from Lancaster, but worth it Yes Did you see the coins they found when renovating the cave, which were in the gift shop? Very cool. Our tour guide was great, and was very funny. Did they turn out the lights when they took you in last section? Our guide did, and it was pitch black, couldn't see my hand in front of my face!

I asked the guide after the tour was over, if metal detecting was allowed on the property, but she wasn't sure. I had to ask though Chuckle

I passed by sooooo many old homes & farms when up there, I was kicking myself I didn't bring my detector. But I was on vacation, lol.
Haha, that is funny joe. I stayed at the steamboat when I was a child. We stayed at birdinhand family Inn. I did notice the coin collection before the tour, I was like..cooooool! Haha. Then the tour guide, Joann? Told us about the box, the little story about the giant and the dragon and the mummy and the total darkness as well. It was pretty far for us too and pretty cool. She also mentioned there was the man who lived in it at the end and about Indians who lived across the river.
She was extremely serious about not touching the rocks, said it like a dozen times.
I'm sure there's some oldies there.
I had my detector with me but didn't detect lol. Wish I could of though.

(11-14-2016 08:08 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]That is a nice spread of food. Sounds and looks delicious!

Lots of fun I bet and I know my wife and I would enjoying having a vacation in Amish country. We have never experience the Amish community, only through the television shows and your threads.

You did a great job making that food pop in the photos. I'm hungry, and my dinner is not going to be as appealing. Hahaha.

We know who to ask if we every get up to PA. You know the location of good food, old coins and relics! My wife is only interested in the food and tours.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Hope you had good luck today on your hunt. If not, maybe next time!
No problem! Glad you enjoyed. I did pretty well on my hunt today. Btw, I'm from south jersey:p went to PA for vacation. 2 hours from me.
Yeah, our guide told us about the old fella that lived in the cave, Zach. And we had the same warnings: Do NOT touch the walls! I betcha there's tons of old coins on that property. You can just look at it and tell. Not sure how many detectorists live up that way, but MAN, I would have a field day if it were me. Every other house is old, big and has a lot of grass/dirt!

Next time you're there, try TOM & CHEE Yes It's right outside of Lancaster, and they only do grilled cheese. Damn good!!!
Reference URL's