Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Charles the 1st trade weight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all, I figured I'd make a new post. One specially for one of my finds from my last post, now identified.
I accidently came across these bronze trade weights when I was looking into "lead weights" for the big lead weight in my last thread.
Looking at the images on google I came across something similar to mine, which I wasn't even looking for. Was super excited. I then found a site with a bunch of different trade weights and matched mine up.
I was in disbelief when I saw king Charles the first. I knew he reigned long ago, but not quite sure when. A quick and easy Google search told me 1625-1649!
I couldn't believe it and still can't.
I told you in a recent post, I should have some pretty good finds for you, as I just obtained quite alot of acreage in a very very old part of town. I'm extremely thrilled to have found this and be able to share it with you and I hope I can save and preserve and share more with you all.
This weight was found in a field next to a house that apparently dates back to the 1690s. And this house was once occupied for over 100 years by cassandras relatives.

I hope you all enjoy and happy hunting,
Zach
You are finding terrific old relics and coins these days, congratulations!
That has got to be one of the oldest items anyone's ever posted here, Zach, with the exception being an old fossil maybe or something similar, but I don't even think that's happened. So, I'm pretty certain that lead weight is THE oldest find ever posted in the community Beer I wouldn't know a lead weight from a lead foot to be honest Chuckle but if that's not a banner find, I don't know what would be. Congrats!!!
(11-16-2016 09:07 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]You are finding terrific old relics and coins these days, congratulations!

Thanks tony, hopefully I'll have some more to share if I survive this heart attack I'm still experiencing! Lol.

(11-16-2016 09:44 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]That has got to be one of the oldest items anyone's ever posted here, Zach, with the exception being an old fossil maybe or something similar, but I don't even think that's happened. So, I'm pretty certain that lead weight is THE oldest find ever posted in the community Beer I wouldn't know a lead weight from a lead foot to be honest Chuckle but if that's not a banner find, I don't know what would be. Congrats!!!
Thanks joe! I had no idea what I had at first too, if you saw the original post I was thinking 18th-19th century game piece. I didn't realize I had anything of significance until I accidently ran into it on the web. This is now my oldest next to my 1620-1680 trapezoidal shoe buckle I found a few weeks ago. Finds are scarce...but OLD! Glad you enjoyed the find and post. You're welcome to come hunt the lands if you're able too.
To be honest, if I found that, I wouldn't have a clue. I probably would've chucked it in the trash can. I used to do that with bag seals years ago, before I knew what they were Chuckle Now I obviously save'm. At least the nicer one's anyway.
Zach my man! You never cease to amaze me, and I'm sure, all our members as well.
First you come up with one of the neatest finds of all time, then you go one better and ID it accidentally. It has been a real joy to watch you progress so much here in just one year. Wish I had been able to keep pace with you. Heartfelt congratulations.
(I'll just reply to this post, but I was just as enthusiastic, though baffled, when you first showed us the weight.)
Dayum!! That's an oldie for sure. Sweet relic man and nice save!
Thanks everyone!
****UPDATE****
Even better news, the other round lead disk from my first post turns out to be a lead trade weight. They are a bit harder to ID as most of them wear down or aren't marked well.
My guess is around the same age or even earlier as it looks like the lead ones from England are older. But I'm not sure. Either way, someone of minor importance traded or lived at the house or there was a important settlement along the river at a time during the early-mid 1600s. I wonder what he traded or bought or sold....
That is awesome finds, super old trading weights! Congratulations, and those are banner worthy for sure. Thank you for sharing.
Another WOW goes out to Zach , nice job on the finds and the great Id . It looks like you will be busy on that site until the snow flies and maybe even into the spring.
   I look forward to seeing more awesome finds.
Pat
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's