Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Modulated Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a fan of modulated audio, and the immense benefit it provides, in offering a softer, lower tone, the deeper a target is. It lets me know that I have a deep item, and chances are, due to the depth, it is likely to be old. It's essentially another form of discrimination for me, as, when coin hunting, those are primarily the targets I'm chasing. So...

Unless someone has extreme hearing difficulties, I cannot see the advantage of NOT using modulated audio. Imagine hunting for hours on end, and every signal sounds as if it's a surface hit. One would have to have their eyes constantly glued to the VDI screen.

Aside from the hearing impairment issue, can anyone explain to me why they WOUDN'T use modulated audio?
Makro Race 1 has that in 2 tone its very helpful that high pitch lets me know its 2 inches down while the softer high tone tells me its deeper! My Detector talks to me and I love when I learn some more of its language. Sorry no argument from me Happy
(11-20-2016 04:31 PM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]Makro Race 1 has that in 2 tone its very helpful that high pitch lets me know its 2 inches down while the softer high tone tells me its deeper! My Detector talks to me and I love when I learn some more of its language. Sorry no argument from me Happy

I just cannot see any applicable use for not using modulated audio, aside from the hearing issue. I hope someone will chime in on why not using it is beneficial, as I was having this exact conversation with my hunting partner yesterday, and we couldn't find one. Only other thing I can think of is personal preference. Which is certainly understandable, but one would then need to have their eyes fixed on the VDI screen throughout the entire hunt.
I used that when I had a Garrett GMH CX II and it worked but I did miss the soft ones others would find. Small silver doesn't give a hallo effect like iron and copper.
Many targets barely give off a tone and we miss them - I turned up the dials as in Andy's book and got better headphones to listen for the whispers and I like it.
I don't think too many people would argue with you premise Joe. Sounds like the equivalent of a parent at an Easter egg hunt telling their kid "you're  getting warmer, warmer--you're getting hot" Who wouldn't want help like that? But since you asked for possibilities here's one that might apply. A retiree lives across from a tot-lot or a municipal pool with grassy lawn and hits it daily for activity, fun, and pocket change, or maybe a stray ring. He doesn't care to MD big time. Since he's cleaning it all the time, everything is recent and shallow and he doesn't care what the tone is and digs all. Still you might say, if he were using modulated, he might be a little more eager to dig the whispered sound thinking an old silver was lurking down a bit deeper. It's a stretch I know, but might stir some better responses.
(11-21-2016 12:58 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think too many people would argue with you premise Joe. Sounds like the equivalent of a parent at an Easter egg hunt telling their kid "you're  getting warmer, warmer--you're getting hot" Who wouldn't want help like that? But since you asked for possibilities here's one that might apply. A retiree lives across from a tot-lot or a municipal pool with grassy lawn and hits it daily for activity, fun, and pocket change, or maybe a stray ring. He doesn't care to MD big time. Since he's cleaning it all the time, everything is recent and shallow and he doesn't care what the tone is and digs all. Still you might say, if he were using modulated, he might be a little more eager to dig the whispered sound thinking an old silver was lurking down a bit deeper. It's a stretch I know, but might stir some better responses.

I can see that, and it's a good point, Shade.
Guys, I don't understand - because if you lower your volume on your machine - isn't that the way they all work? Lower volume - deep whispers but higher on close or large targets?
I hunted this way for a very long time, with Garrett, white, fisher and Minelab. Garrett even had those instructions in the manual or his video or both. Let's not forget factory presets.

Would modulated audio help with finding half dollars? It seems to be one tough coin to find.
I would think lowering your volume would still provide modulated audio (if you set it up that way). The only difference is that the modulation would be quieter/softer. You might run the risk of not hearing some of the extreme deepies at all, if your volume is too low.

As for the halves - or any other item - I don't think modulated audio will help you find more, it just provides a clue, in the sense that the item is deeper, and you should investigate further as it could be an older item. The tonal differences (softer versus louder) helps with cherry picking, too. I go by tone first when I'm hunting, and most times, if I hear a louder signal, I know it's probably newer clad near the surface. When I pass over a deepie, and hear a softer hit, I know I have something good (old) most of the time, and then I'll check the VDI reading, target size, etc. to make a dig/not dig decision.

Halves are extremely tough to find in the parks, Tony, which I know is what we both do a lot of. Due to their size, they can be heard with any machine at greater depths. So, most of them were snatched up years ago, by other detectorists. I have 3 or 4, in 10 years of hunting. Not many. Of course, if one is doing private properties or wooded areas, they'll probably find more, but I'm lucky to find quarters in the beat up parks I hunt.
Joe, I know folks who claim that even being in an advanced mode you can not find a half. They give off different numbers or tones and most machines do not pick them up either because of calibration or another reason while programming was done at the factory.
Yes, lowering the volume on your machine can help and you have to go slow enough to hear the soft tones (that are deep) that you are after. But excellent headphones are a must.
(11-21-2016 08:06 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Joe, I know folks who claim that even being in an advanced mode you can not find a half. They give off different numbers or tones and most machines do not pick them up either because of calibration or another reason while programming was done at the factory.

That's the first I've ever heard of that, Tony. Maybe that's why I haven't found many Chuckle In my mind, a half would be almost impossible to miss, due to it's size. Unless it was on edge or super duper deep. But I'm not a detector engineer, so, I cannot speak to the calibration of unit's, etc. I guess anything is possible, though.

IMO, I think the 2 most probable reasons why halves aren't found in abundance is because...

1. They're bigger, and can more easily be found by other hunters first.

2. Fifty cents was a lot of dough way back when, and most people didn't have a pot to piss in in those days. So, I don't think halves were readily carried by people. Hence, fewer to get lost/dropped.

Honestly, when I go out hunting, halves are the furthest thing from my mind. Doesn't even register, as they're so rare to find. For me, it's actually more common to find a seated or a real. Go figure, lol.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's