Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: ***A Request***
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently reached out to a member who I haven’t heard from in a while. He’s a crack detectorist, a good guy, and we’ve had our fair share of laughs during his time here. He finally got back to me, and the news wasn’t all that great.

Seems he’s currently battling some personal issues, on top of losing his job. Some of you may know Pittsburgh Will, some might not. But he’s genuinely a sweetheart of a guy, who also happens to be a single father of a young boy, Og.

What struck me about his reply was, he was both humble enough, and man enough to admit his shortcomings, and honestly took stock with me on how his situation has worsened. I know many people who would lie under similar circumstances, or try to pin blame on something/someone outside of themselves, but not Will. And losing his job, his main means of support for both him and his son, on top of what he’s going through, really struck a chord with me, especially with the holiday season here.

So, I wanted to try and rally our members to maybe make the coming Christmas a little brighter for Will & Og.

If any of you in our community can help in any way, whether it means a small donation of a few bucks, a Christmas present for Og, or even a simple note or card with some words of encouragement for Will, I would be extremely grateful.

He was very apprehensive about me doing this, but I assured him all would be fine. I know we have many, many members here, and each & every one of us has our own problems too. And I’m not looking for anyone to overextend themselves in terms of giving. Again, whatever is doable for you is more than fine, and I know will be more than appreciated by Will.

Metal detecting is not only about the finds, but more importantly, the people, and the experiences we share with them on our journey in this hobby. We all get stuck sometimes, and can use a helping hand. And if anyone is deserving of one, IMO, it’s Will. He’s a part of our community, and I’d like to think we’d all do the same for each other if we were in similar circumstances. There but for the grace of God go I.

I personally promised to make sure Og has a real nice gift under the tree by Christmas. If anyone else here can find it in their heart to follow my lead, I, Will and Og would very grateful. 

If anyone is interested in helping, please PM me and I’ll give you Will’s full name and address details. Or, you can try PM'ing him direct, but it might take a while for a reply. I was simply going to post his address in this message, but, being this is a public forum, I’m not sure that would be the wisest thing to do, in the name of safety & security.

P.S. - For newer members, feel free to look up some of his older posts, so you can get an idea of who I’m speaking about, as it’s quite tough to describe the full character of a person in a short message like this. It will help put a “face" to the good person I’m writing about. That's not me in the photo below, it's of Will taken on one of his hunts.

Happy Thanksgiving to All.
I do remember and recall will. He always commented and was a nice and cool dude. Sucks to hear such news and I hope things can turn around for them.
I'll pitch in for a present.
I'll pm you in a bit
Sorry to hear another good person losing their job and has personal issues. I can relate - it took me forever it seems to bounce back and I still don't feel 100%.
Best of luck to Will and his son.
Sounds like a outstanding guy. I hope members that are able helps out. Thanks for letting us know.
(11-23-2016 10:52 AM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a outstanding guy. I hope members that are able helps out. Thanks for letting us know.

Will is a helluva guy, and unfortunately, some bad stuff struck right around the holiday. As a member here, I thought it would be nice if we pulled together to make Christmas a little brighter for his son, Og.

Quite a few people have sent me PM's offering to lend a hand, and for that, I am deeply appreciative. You all know who you are, and I thank you for helping a member in need.

Again, I know we all have our own crosses to bear, and everyone here has their own problems to deal with, but when there's a child involved, I think we should all try and do what we can to assist. Whatever anyone is able to help with would mean the world to Will and his son.

Thank you again, to all who've said they would get involved, and I wish all members here a Happy Thanksgiving Happy
Why not just set up a donation to the forums then give him 1 check? Collect for say 2 or 3 weeks? I have no problem doing it that way I'll go cash in some silver Happy
Thank you Joe and everyone else. I really appreciate the support and help. You guys must know that Joe is a great guy. I didn't ask him for any help. He talked me into it. He runs this site for us. Everybody please say thank you Joe.
(11-23-2016 09:49 PM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just set up a donation to the forums then give him 1 check? Collect for say 2 or 3 weeks? I have no problem doing it that way I'll go cash in some silver Happy

That's very kind of you CJ, but I don't want anyone to have to cash in their silver, or anything else for that matter. I know giving is tough for us all, what with the economy, the holidays upon us, etc. So, I wanted to emphasize whatever is doable for members. It needn't be large, fancy or anything else, it's the thought that counts. Even a card or note with some encouraging words would fit the bill.

I like to keep things simple, and do them as transparently as possible. On that note, I felt providing Will's address to those who wish to help is fair & square, as everything goes directly to him. Members can feel free to PM him directly for his address details, too.

(11-29-2016 07:20 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you Joe and everyone else. I really appreciate the support and help. You guys must know that Joe is a great guy. I didn't ask him for any help. He talked me into it. He runs this site for us. Everybody please say thank you Joe.

I appreciate that, but the thanks should go to our fellow members, Will Yes More than anything, I hope you get back on your feet soon, and both you & Og can enjoy the upcoming holidays and beyond.

To be blunt, life can be shitty sometimes. But it's how we choose to deal with the lemons we're given that truly matters. You have many friends here, and we're all pulling for you Wink
(11-22-2016 11:32 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I recently reached out to a member who I haven’t heard from in a while. He’s a crack detectorist, a good guy, and we’ve had our fair share of laughs during his time here. He finally got back to me, and the news wasn’t all that great.

Seems he’s currently battling some personal issues, on top of losing his job. Some of you may know Pittsburgh Will, some might not. But he’s genuinely a sweetheart of a guy, who also happens to be a single father of a young boy, Og.

What struck me about his reply was, he was both humble enough, and man enough to admit his shortcomings, and honestly took stock with me on how his situation has worsened. I know many people who would lie under similar circumstances, or try to pin blame on something/someone outside of themselves, but not Will. And losing his job, his main means of support for both him and his son, on top of what he’s going through, really struck a chord with me, especially with the holiday season here.

So, I wanted to try and rally our members to maybe make the coming Christmas a little brighter for Will & Og.

If any of you in our community can help in any way, whether it means a small donation of a few bucks, a Christmas present for Og, or even a simple note or card with some words of encouragement for Will, I would be extremely grateful.

He was very apprehensive about me doing this, but I assured him all would be fine. I know we have many, many members here, and each & every one of us has our own problems too. And I’m not looking for anyone to overextend themselves in terms of giving. Again, whatever is doable for you is more than fine, and I know will be more than appreciated by Will.

Metal detecting is not only about the finds, but more importantly, the people, and the experiences we share with them on our journey in this hobby. We all get stuck sometimes, and can use a helping hand. And if anyone is deserving of one, IMO, it’s Will. He’s a part of our community, and I’d like to think we’d all do the same for each other if we were in similar circumstances. There but for the grace of God go I.

I personally promised to make sure Og has a real nice gift under the tree by Christmas. If anyone else here can find it in their heart to follow my lead, I, Will and Og would very grateful. 

If anyone is interested in helping, please PM me and I’ll give you Will’s full name and address details. Or, you can try PM'ing him direct, but it might take a while for a reply. I was simply going to post his address in this message, but, being this is a public forum, I’m not sure that would be the wisest thing to do, in the name of safety & security.

P.S. - For newer members, feel free to look up some of his older posts, so you can get an idea of who I’m speaking about, as it’s quite tough to describe the full character of a person in a short message like this. It will help put a “face" to the good person I’m writing about. That's not me in the photo below, it's of Will taken on one of his hunts.

Happy Thanksgiving to All.
I have no money to give, nor would I probably be able to give if I did have any money because I live in England,  so please use some of my treasure classifieds coins to help to get him a gift from the store, I have enough for a t-shirt, or my coins could be used along with others to buy something more expensive
Reference URL's