Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 8 hour straight hunt, coins+relics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, got out today for a 8 hour straight hunt. It was rough. I'm used to eating every 2-3 hours and forgot my little fruit snack packs and didn't bring and wasn't able to eat lunch.

Ok so, first we parked...hit the first field for a hour or so, then the next field over for about 2 and then the next field over for about a hour and then the next field over for about 3. That was where all the older stuff was found as its a 1600s site. But the rest of the fields are rich in history as well but have been hit for years and years and years by a lot of different people. So anyway, I'm a mile out into the fields and then detect back.
My best finds are the 17c small buckle in the middle and a young head kg2 (1729-1739) and a 1879 Indian. Others are, old ass broken spoon, 17c piece of crotal bell, musketballs, buttons, a Wheatie, rivets and other buckles.
Won't be detecting till maybe saturday again.
Happy hunting and Goodluck
Zach
WOW! WHAT A HAUL!!! Excellent KG2, as well as everything else, Z Yes Love that spoon. Be careful when hunting for long stretches, especially in the heat. Two Summer's ago I hunted for about 7 or 8 hours almost straight through, and I depleted my supply of water after the first 2 hours or so. I drove to a few new spots, but wanted to maximize my hunting time and didn't stop to buy water. Big mistake. I almost fainted in a field I was hunting towards the end of the day, became nauseous, and got a migraine, as swinging in 90+ degree weather all day with no liquid surely dehydrated me. Now I make sure to bring at least a few Gatorades with me on every outing, or a couple of tall ball water bottles. Fantastic hunt and great saves Wink
Nice bunch of goodies Zach. The beauty of the places that you hunt is that just about everything is oldĀ  and historic. Just a matter of time til you get another rare find. I'm sure that makes the long hunts more bearable. Joe is right, take care out in the wind/cold, those hunts can rob you of energy and hydration just like the summer heat can.
Thanks guys! I'm told my trade weight is a more rare find than a cob...! So I'm already set for this year. A Spanish cob was 1st on my list. And I got something better...so happy and grateful. I'll wait for next year for a cob Wink.

Also, yes, everyone be safe. Bring water and food and anything with sugars. Today was close for me. I started feeling dizzy and things started spinning towards the end. Layed down on the ground and then continued back to the car.
Congratulations Zach on another terrific outing!
I haven't hunted for eight hours in many moons. So, yeah, probably would take a bit out of me. Glad you are ok.
Great array of finds Zack and congrats on the kg and the IH. 8 hours is a long day to do fields. I even only last 4 with my brother looking for arrowheads. When I wore my sling bag I carried enough food for the whole day. Water too. But it became so heavy that I used to set it on the ground and do an area, pick it up and move and do that again. I think the best bet is to get a real good breakfast in if you know you're going on a trek like that.

But I would stick with the older site and make that my home. Although it's been cleaned out there's always stuff to find if they turn it every year. Good luck on Saturday and don't push it. I usually find a place to sit down and enjoy the scenery every hour or so. Those little 5 minute breaks with a protein bar and some water are real energizers! The stuff isn't going anywhere. It'll be there.

Ed
Thanks tony and EdYes
Sadly, I'm not so good with breakfast. It can be anything and I'll be digging a couple holes in the field to take poops! Food in the morning is 95% of the time a no go unless I want to get sick.
I usually drink juice in the morning and eat fruit snacks until about noon, then I'll have my lunch.
Summer time I usually drink 6-8 bottles of water throughout the day when I detect.
Winter is usually 2-4.
As for breaks, usually I just stand there for a minute leaning on my shovel then go back at it. Or other times, I usually visit different sites that involve using a vehicle...so I get to sit down and take a break then. Ocassionally I'll sit down on the ground or just lay there lol, like toda. Today was way different. I'm beat. Gonna sleep like a baby tonight!
Nice finds. I have to give credit to anyone who can hunt for eight hours. At my age (72) I'm lucky if I can go for four hours when the weather is good. In the summer it's less. Especially if the ground is hard.
Gerry
Congratulations on the nice finds and awesome all day hunting! Be sure to prepare for such a long outing. Some of my hunts are far away and we hunt all day and into the night. So I know about being exhausted and sometimes it was not worth the pain. But the other times make up for those light pouch days. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
Reference URL's