Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: My opinion of my used Etrac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Dusty, you are right about high conductive numbers and the low FE numbers.
I guess I was just talking my the Exp II. It gives off a 00 31 - which most folks don't dig. I have dug a few of these that are shallow and they were all memorial cents from the late 60s or early 70s. If I go for a deep one - it can't be found, you just keep digging and digging.
So maybe wrap around is not correct - we all miss targets no matter what machine we use. I am sorry that I took away from the topic but I like hearing about eh 3030, so thank you for your posts.
You're right Tony , we all miss things,,,it's what makes changing machine , coils , directions , even the tune we're humming interesting as stuff always keeps turning up.

Joe , I have only used the etrac and CTX in the Minelab line of FBS machines so I'm not familiar with the Safari or Explorer models but just assumed they both had a TTF type tone selection. It really is the simplest tone to use as it splits the detection screen in half and assigns a high pitch to signals above 17/18Fe and a low tone to signals >18 Fe. Dig everything with a high tone while using an open or nearly open screen.It eliminates most falsing without using disc but with a little disc you can get rid of the wrap around with minimal nulling. Not for the faint of heart anywhere but heavy iron as all modern trash will high tone. You still have an accurate VDI to cherry pick with but risk missing good targets that may be unusual finds in a relic site,,, tokens , odd jewelry , copper and brass items will give off uncommon VDI's but the same high tone as known coins.
The CTX takes TTF to another level by dividing the screen into 5 bins , one lower horizontal "rectangle" for iron and four vertical for higher conductors and you can adjust both the size of the bins as well as the assigned tone. If you are park hunter wanting to hunt modern and iron trashy sites AND cherry pick you can assign a tone for nickels and high value coins that are the same(like a CZ3d) , have a bin/tone separate for iron , put foil and small jewelry in another and can slaw in the last. I don't hunt his way but its possible. You can do something similar with the etrac if you use that trashy park pattern with the disc opened up from 17 down and TTF tones.
Most important things about TTF and etrac is the type of site and a very slow swing speed. CTX handles both of those items much easier.
I might have to pick your brain a bit after I get the Etrac, Dusty. It's pretty straighforward, and with the Minelabs it mainly the tones that are a bitch to understand. But coming from the Safari, where the tones are essentially the same, that won't be an issue. It's mainly making sure my set-up is a good one. Now here's something that I'd really like to get your opinion on...

I run with my Safari in all metal...wide open. However, I heard with the Etrac it is not wise to do that. A slight amount of discrimination is actually more beneficial. Is that true?
I would say that depends a lot on the site. I think it was khouse who posted a good instructional video on how well the etrac can separate with a little disc compared to none at all. Makes sense as you are asking the machine to cancel out just the "bad" iron and not have it null for all iron. I have been doing this without really knowing it by using a modified version of a pattern Andy Sabisch has posted,,,just opened it up quite a bit. We all have different levels of audio tolerance so what you decide to subject yourself to is your choice. I hunt mostly sites infested with modern trash , aluminum and foil and don't want to listen to the constant din. What I have really noticed when going back to the etrac from the CTX , when doing my occasional trip down memory lane , is just how slow you have to swing the etrac in comparison. If it is faster than the Safari you will experience the opposite.
(12-07-2016 11:22 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]I would say that depends a lot on the site. I think it was khouse who posted a good instructional video on how well the etrac can separate with a little disc compared to none at all. Makes sense as you are asking the machine to cancel out just the "bad" iron and not have it null for all iron. I have been doing this without really knowing it by using a modified version of a pattern Andy Sabisch has posted,,,just opened it up quite a bit. We all have different levels of audio tolerance so what you decide to subject yourself to is your choice. I hunt mostly sites infested with modern trash , aluminum and foil and don't want to listen to the constant din. What I have really noticed when going back to the etrac from the CTX , when doing my occasional trip down memory lane , is just how slow you have to swing the etrac in comparison. If it is faster than the Safari you will experience the opposite.

Looking forward to putting the Etrac through its paces this Spring, Dusty. I appreciate all of your help, and I'm sure it's going to save me a lot of frustration when I'm out in the field Yes
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's