Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: My opinion of my used Etrac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Disclaimer- This is just my opinion and I am not affiliated with Minelab.
I started detecting in 1988 with a Whites 5900. I went to the Eagle SL90 and then the XLT. They were okay machines but one day I tried a friends Explorer 2 and after seeing him pull out coins that my Whites couldn't hear I bought a Minelab SE PRO. It's an excellent machine with the option of using Smartfind or conductive and ferrous numbers. I used it in Smartfind most of the time. I found hundreds of silver coins and thousands of pennies etc and some silver and gold jewelry. I started reading and watching videos about the Etrac and CTX. I couldn't afford to buy a CTX even a used one. After using the SE PRO for about 8 years, I decided to buy a used Etrac and hold on to the SE PRO in case I didn't care for the Etrac. The transition form the SE PRO to the Etrac was a piece of cake (for me anyway). I use the settings suggested by "cutaplug" in his you tube videos. One feature I like but haven't used too much yet is the two tone ferrous. In trashy areas it seperates the iron from the coins better than the multi tone feature. I also like the way the screen shows the smartfind and conductive and ferrous numbers at the same time. I now use the numbers whereas on the SE PRO, I used the smartfind. The ID numbers on the Etrac are more accurate than the SE PRO with the good stuff showing a ferrous at 11-13 and conductive from roughly 30-49. It's not fool proof on deep targets but it lets you know something is there. Since I got the Etrac 2 months ago my year to date silver went from 18 to 39. Today I had a five silver day including a 1926 SLQ. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my new toy and highly recommend it.
GerryF
Noted. Thanks Gerry!

Ed
Gerry, yeah that is a good bounce up in good target numbers. I am happy for you - keep it going man.

I like the Exp II so much I bought a used one - I finally learned how to do more with it after all of these years. My silver totals have gone from 10 or 12 to almost 40.
And my gold totals are now starting to come along nicely.

I have used garrett, whites, fisher and finally landed on minelab - because a guy in the club always brought in 10 silvers a month. I am glad I did.

My problem is this - if and when I move to the Etrac or CTX - will I be able to grasp the newer technology.
It took me so long to learn - I have been detecting since 1991 and now I am older and can't seem to get moving upwards.
I guess I am kinda stuck at this level for now. Maybe next year I will make a move
Glad you like the machine and hope you continue finding the ones you couldn't find before. This makes all you old locations new fresh hunts. Happy
The takeaway is this: Same spots, same user experience, different machine = silver totals shoot way up. The only differentiating factor is the detector. Luck is thrown out the window, as the finding of coins is consistent, not once in a while, or only at certain spots.

I relayed my opinions to you on the machine, as well as everything I've witnessed over the years, and I'm glad you took the plunge and got one. I'm even happier it's working gangbusters for you Yes

Mine will be gotten soon, too Happy
Good report on your Etrac experience Gerry.  I have watched your numbers pop since you told us about buying the unit. I know I could do much better if I would make a similar move, as I am certain that I am leaving deep silvers in the parks I frequent. Trouble is I detect so rarely it's just not practical monetarily, and I'll just have to be content with what I now have. If I find myself with extra cash or if my passion for detecting suddenly surges uncontrollably then I'll follow your lead. I think you made a great decision to move up and look forward to your seeing your new finds.
It seems to be pretty well accepted that depth of detection with FBS units is pretty consistent. Exp. , etrac and CTX really only differ in operational recovery speed which enhances ID abit as you go up the line but not depth , so the factor of masking becomes even more important. Gains you might see by moving to the Etrac from a Safari or Explorer are proportional if you move to the CTX as it really is noticeably faster than the etrac.
(11-23-2016 11:43 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Gerry, yeah that is a good bounce up in good target numbers. I am happy for you - keep it going man.

I like the Exp II so much I bought a used one - I finally learned how to do more with it after all of these years. My silver totals have gone from 10 or 12 to almost 40.
And my gold totals are now starting to come along nicely.

I have used garrett, whites, fisher and finally landed on minelab - because a guy in the club always brought in 10 silvers a month. I am glad I did.

My problem is this - if and when I move to the Etrac or CTX - will I be able to grasp the newer technology.
It took me so long to learn - I have been detecting since 1991 and now I am older and can't seem to get moving upwards.
I guess I am kinda stuck at this level for now. Maybe next year I will make a move
Hi Tony
I used an SE PRO before getting the Etrac and I think I looked at every video on YouTube and read everything I could find about the Etrac. I felt very confident when I started using it. The SE PRO is "similar" to the Etrac but the Etrac seems to be faster in it's response and to me it ID's better especially on the deeper stuff. It's not for everyone, but I like using it alot.
Gerry
Yeah Gerry, I understand and the deeper stuff is generally what we are looking for.

Best of luck and keep it going!
Gerry, today when I turned the machine on it had the larger icons on the display. I didn't push any buttons to get that, I guess it was acting up - bad numbers, screen wouldn't display if I was in iron mode or not.

It might be time for me to start shopping! Yikes!
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's