Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Nasty Test Bed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(11-26-2016 02:39 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Cool idea and that is some good work, congratulations.
Now the half and 85-91. What does that mean to someone who doesn't use a Makro?
Why such a range of numbers?
My Exp II gives two numbers, one is ferrous and the other is conductive.
Maybe I need to buy one of those Makro, we will c

Minelab's can suffer from number swings too, as you know, Tony. For instance...

On the Safari, I don't have any FE/CO numbers, only one number kind of like CJ's Makro. It is deadly accurate, however, throw trash/iron into the mix, or a coin at extreme depths, and the numbers on targets can be off 5 to 6 digits from what they normally are. So, one needs to take that into consideration when hearing a softer signal.

A shallower silver dime on my machine can come in from 36 to 39, but most of the time, 37 to 39, depending upon the coin's wear, burial angle, direction I'm swinging from, etc. But any coin that's deeper than 6" or so, and that 37 to 39 can be 35, 36, even the low 30's at extreme depth's, or if there's a lot of trash nearby.

The same holds true on any Minelab, or any detector really. Remember your engagement ring? I believe you said the numbers were shitty but the tone was decent enough to dig. Same theory. But you should still be able to hear the coin, no matter how much the numbers are off, or even if the signal is a bit scratchy. Especially on a half. More mass means more target identification possibility. Unless, again, a coin is on edge or at the extreme limits of its depth capability.

Hell, all this technical stuff must mean someone is due for a big, fat half soon Yes
I understand now, thanks for that explanation.
Welcome Bigtony I think Nj's explanation was alittle more clear then mine but says the same with the Makro you only get 2 digits and all good signals are really 50+ numbers 50 is a 10k mens gold ring and 68,69,70 is an 18k mens wedding band when you get to the coins 52-53 for nickles 84-86 for copper penny or dimes and 87-88 for quarters Siver hits in the 91 range rings or such the last ring I posted up was a 14.1 g silver mens ring and it was a solid 91 at 6 inches in wet compacted sandy baseball field. The Makro Racer like others still falses on big iron and after 8 inches in the ground you get a - - on the screen instead of a good VDI % but the tones it gives are still solid up to 12 inches or so. Makro tends to Beef up the numbers on coins the deeper they are so a nickle at 3-4 inches is 52-53 but at 8 inches you can get 80's atleast in this dirty soil. If your thinking of a Racer go with the Makro 2 as you can save your settings with each search mode the stock 7x11 coil works great in trashy and good soil put it in 3 tone and listen for that sweet High tone for coins and silver! I only have about 40 hours on the machine but they are serious ones.
( 8-9 inches in these parks I hit with tons of trash in them is something if I can pick out the solid hits in them its a good detector )

http://www.rt6detectors.com/ a sponsor for the classifieds carries the Makro Racer and they take trades!!
Thank you cladjunky, that was a good explanation.
THe Explorer II is finding deep coins in trashy areas too. The ID numbers also move about a bit but you have to listen to the sound and give it a go. The multiple frequency gets stuff that others and I have missed in the past - I know this because I have been back to many of these areas.
I still feel no matter what machine you use you will miss stuff. I am sure if I used a Makro 2 and go over these parts I will pick up coins that were missed by me and others.
In my opinion the numbers/tones on deep halves is still alluding me but I will keep at it.
Great test bed John! Are you going to leave it as a permanent one? I've never found a half at more than about 6" deep, although I will say that the ones I've found weren't in real trashy areas. I've found that the tone (SE Pro or AT Pro) made the difference in the decisions as to dig them or not. The ones I've found at 2 or so inches sounded loud and clear (like a can top but without the grizzly, scratchy noise on the AT Pro and jumpy tones on the SE) and the numbers were spot on (87 to 94, or 00-28,29 SE Pro). The one at 6 inches was in river silt and sounded like a can. Numbers on the AT Pro were 88-92. But the pinpointing was very tight. Even still I missed it in the dig and it was 1 inch over in the hole. Must've been on edge or at a slight angle. I've dug up a lot of deep cans following that practice though. Sometimes it's a half!

I equate the scratchy noise on the AT Pro as akin to a sprinkling of cold water hitting a frypan of hot frying oil. But sometimes that could be deeper iron/mineralization in the mix of the coil wave. In those cases I turn the sensitivity down in notches and recheck. If the scratchy doesn't disappear, nine times out of ten it's a deep can. I know because I dig them anyway. Because ....... What if it's a deep can NEXT to a half!!!?????

Ed
Ed, I understand that - this is one crazy hobby. I started to dig those 00-28 and 26, 27 as well. I feel I might be missing some good coins.

I love his test bed. I turned my dirt into cement long ago - both kids had allergies but now they are grown and both have lawns - go figure.
I knew a guy who buried coins in the local park - back in the day when no one cared that we metal detected. He would hit that coin spot to see if he could hear it or not. That would tell him how the depth would be for that particular day's hunting.
The bed is gonna stay and I am thinking of making a 6 inch line also for more reference the 67 half though I may dig up when I turn in some silver allthough i doubt it I like having it for fun. the bed is next to A decaying garage most likely where all the iron came from. I had a few restless nights but I think i'm over putting silver back in the ground and can go on living a full life!.Tongue
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's