Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Raining here in NJ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's raining here in NJ - wow a good soaking for sure.
Now all I need is some virgin ground or at least a new place to go on Saturday or Sunday this weekend.

It seems that I do research and have not gone to some or have struck out at most of the ones I did read up on. Gone are the days where you could query when a park was built or started - they would be proud of the year it happened so to speak.

No complaints here - just need to get out and start scouting
Research is good if you're hitting wooded areas, or will be knocking on doors in certain neighborhoods, but for parks, which is mostly what's available to us in Northern NJ, the best method is to make a list of 3 or 4 in a specific town or two, then go and try each of them out. If the first spot is good, stick around. If it's a dud, hop on over to the next location. That's what I've been doing for years, and it's served me pretty well.

Keep in mind, most parks have been pounded to death. Doesn't mean there's nothing left to find, it just means you have to work harder for it. Usually, this translates into looking for "pockets" that other detectorists missed, or didn't work efficiently. Stuff isn't everywhere like it was 25 or 30 years ago. You gotta find those pockets Yes

When you're at a new spot, don't stay in one section too long if you aren't finding silver or wheats. Keep moving around until old stuff starts popping up, then comb that section over tightly. Rinse, wash & repeat. This strategy, coupled with listening for the deeper signals, almost always produces silver for me...if it's there to be found.

There's a lot of old coins out there to be found in the parks. But the mistake I see others make is, they don't move around enough. Keep hitting different places, looking for those pockets, and once you find them, the finds will flow. If you don't find them, just keep moving.
Glad to hear Big T! Rained here last night pretty good but we've had enough already. I think that system is the one you're getting now. Should wet you up some.

Ed
Joe, I know what your talking about and did do that a few years ago but stopped. Good advice so I'll have to get back to it.

Yeah, rain came in real good and more to come tomorrow. I feel you are right that is enough for this storm, we had a soaking already.

So now if this pattern keeps up every week then we winter will be eventful.
Glad you're getting moisturizer for the ground. Good luck scouting. Before you run off to a new location are you sure you did not leave any silver or gold at those other spots? Or are you saving them because they are closer to the house? Happy
Updownup, no saving for me - I have hit them often and with different metal detectors and with different hunting partners. My last two gold finds were days I decided not to hunt for deep silver coins and tried only for gold. I didn't post the can slaw/pull tab/foil that I dug up in the process but hey it's a hobby and I like to try for different aspects of it. So, If I am unlucky looking for deep sweet silvers then I switch and dig nickels and or gold. This is no secret if you read my past posts, I am a coin shooter at heart and love to experiment. This has helped me learned the hobby better and how to adapt to different situations.
Keep at it - it's a fun hobby for sure.
Sometimes I give my closer parks a break and hunt areas farther away if I have the time. If I'm short on time I'm able to get a quick hunt in the closer parks. That's what I meant by saving them. Anyway, hope you find some new areas and great finds.
Updown, I understand - I had a hunting partner who said leave some for tomorrow and he meant it. Please understand - on the days I travel - I do and on the days I don't - I stay close to home for different reasons.
So, If I go back to a hunted out area - I will try for stuff I usually don't hunt for - sometimes this pays off, sometimes it don't but I am experimenting and learning

Good luck out there
Reference URL's