Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 19th Century Squeaker turns out to be #60 FTY!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Decided to go to an area that I've hunted before many times, and so have a BOATLOAD of others, but haven't ever really found much other than a number of wheats and a few Rosies. It's a real popular area in that it has an old stone foundation for a gristmill nearby and is a nostalgic tourist attraction for the locals. Today though, instead of doing the woods, I worked the old wagon road berms, about 4 to 5 feet in from the road, on each side, that lead into the area from the South. Now the overgrowth is gone on the berm sides from weather and the poor deer who will eat about anything they can reach this time of year; but the going is very slow, bumping constantly into small saplings, working around fallen tree branches and the like. And it's very iron infested and loaded with slag. I dug a lot of it on a hunch. About an hour and a half in I get this signal that is a very low volume, high tone, numbers are real jumpy and reading sporadically 83, 84, 86, 87. Because of the iron I can't even get a target by machine pinpointing and have to use the coil and the tone for a best guess. (ATPro w/8.5 x 11 coil). So I dig this 12 inch wide plug, through small roots and such about 6 inches deep. Soil is pretty moist now because of a lot of sporadic rain we've had. Check with the carrot on high and nothing. Dig down another tough three inches. Now, with the carrot on high, I'm getting a light hit at the bottom of the hole on the 12 o'clock end from my kneeling position. So I ram the Hori, Hori in that area all the way to the hilt and proceed to do a plug in a plug. Mind you, I'm now down 9 inches and have opened another plug four inches in diameter, six inches deep, at a direct 45 angle to the bottom of the original plug. Carrot says nothing in the tailings. Probe the new hole and I'm loud and clear, so much so I turn the carrot down to one on beep setting. BINGO! Three inches into my new lower hole I carefully pop out the upper side. Pull the tailing out with my hand and I see silver and the big words ONE DIME, as plain as day. Now the thrill was I know the area. The gristmill operated from the mid 1840's until approximately the mid 1920's. I see one dime on the back but haven't looked on the obverse, hoping it was a seated. It was worn. Confidence was high.

Not disappointed at all. Broke the century barrier by a year and found my third Barber dime FTY. I was there three hours. The place has been ransacked by detectorists over many years. But I found a Barber down 12 inches. Think about it next time you're out.

I did find some other things and they are shown. That little play token had me going for a second or two because I was thinking it a gold $1 piece at first. Better luck next time I guess.

Have FUN out there guys and gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed
Nice Barber Ed. There's nothing like finding silver in an area that has been pounded by others. Congratulations.
Gerry
Another excellent hunt, Ed Yes Two beauties, and a neat token, too!

You're smart, and if I hunted more wooded areas I would do exactly the same, in respect to using the AT versus the SE. Personally, I do NOT like hunting in the woods with a Minelab. It's overkill. To heavy, too bulky, and the depth isn't needed as much, since most targets aren't super deep. It's hard enough to swing in a park for 5 or 6 hours, but having to lug it around through heavy bush, under stickers, vines, etc. takes a toll. The AT's are light as a feather, and as an added bonus, are MUCH better in iron than any Minelab.

Do you hunt with the Iron Audio feature on all the time, or only when you get into heavy pockets of iron/trash?
Right on Ed Yes

BeerBeer
Nice silver Ed! 1899 barber. Beautiful! Keep at it and happy hunting man!
(11-29-2016 10:54 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Another excellent hunt, Ed Yes Two beauties, and a neat token, too!

You're smart, and if I hunted more wooded areas I would do exactly the same, in respect to using the AT versus the SE. Personally, I do NOT like hunting in the woods with a Minelab. It's overkill. To heavy, too bulky, and the depth isn't needed as much, since most targets aren't super deep. It's hard enough to swing in a park for 5 or 6 hours, but having to lug it around through heavy bush, under stickers, vines, etc. takes a toll. The AT's are light as a feather, and as an added bonus, are MUCH better in iron than any Minelab.

Do you hunt with the Iron Audio feature on all the time, or only when you get into heavy pockets of iron/trash?

I have never hunted with the Iron Audio function "on" Joe. I want to hear everything with this machine. I tried it a couple of times but agreed with myself that I'm not looking for relics. Not that they don't come by with it off. I personally think it's pretty much useless for my hunting style.

And if I wasn't so casual about taking the SE out in such dire rain and snow and pick something situations, I honestly think I could have found that dime with it as well. Location is the mother of detecting. I just wasn't there, in that frame of mind, with the SE, when I was working with it. And as far as weight, IMHO the SE with the Pro Coil is more balanced than the ATPro with the 8.5 x 11 coil. (The small 5 x 8 ATPro coil is no problem, but the depth sucks!) And I've got an ice pack on my right shoulder right now to prove it. The weight of the ATPro lies out in the coil. Especially when bumping around and lifting over. Great in grass! The weight of the SEPro is under your forearm. It may weigh a tad more but it's way more ergonomic to swing.

Oh, and thanks!Yes

Ed

(11-29-2016 11:53 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Right on Ed Yes

BeerBeer

Thank You Wayne! Yes

Beer Beer

(11-30-2016 12:24 AM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Nice silver Ed! 1899 barber. Beautiful! Keep at it and happy hunting man!

Ya never know Zach. Keep that in mind next time out! Thanks! YesBeer
Good hunting again Ed. I admire your patience and diligence. Not many hunters would go through what you do to get those prizes. Are the harder to get coins more special to you than an easier park find?
What a great looking barber. With the color on the play money I think my heart would have skipped a beat when it came out of the ground.
   Thanks for sharing another great hunt Ed.
HH
Pat
Congratulations on the barber dime and token! Nice hunting Ed, you're trooper! Thanks for sharing and good luck.
(11-30-2016 01:09 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Good hunting again Ed. I admire your patience and diligence. Not many hunters would go through what you do to get those prizes. Are the harder to get coins more special to you than an easier park find?

Thanks and yes they do Shade. If I see a particular tree in the woods for example, I remember where I dug certain coins in that immediate area. There seems to be a connection that automatically turns on in my brain that let's me make a particular area and related coin special. I found a lot of silver in the grass too, but most of them I couldn't tell you where now. Over in that park over there. Maybe it's got something to do with reference points. The ones that are buggers to dig, like this one, are real good memories. I got a 72 memorial penny on my PC here because it took me 2 separate digs to find the thing, again, at 12" down under a 5" tree root. Sounded like deep silver!!!Chuckle

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's