Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Looks kinda like a button?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this yesterday. It looks some what like a button.  I've never seen anything like it before. It had what looked and smelled like rust on it but it isn't attracted to a magnet. It is rather heavy for its size. It comes in at a 58 on my at pro.
[attachment=9083]
Hello Hands: Somehow I've lost your picture. When I first checked in I could see your find and agreed that you probably had a button, but now I can't get your pic back to view it again. Looked to me like the receiving part of a brass snap button. If brass that would account for non magnetic properties, and the rust could have been the residue from the iron retainer clips inside.
(11-30-2016 10:46 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Hands: Somehow I've lost your picture. When I first checked in I could see your find and agreed that you probably had a button, but now I can't get your pic back to view it again. Looked to me like the receiving part of a brass snap button. If brass that would account for non magnetic properties, and the rust could have been the residue from the iron retainer clips inside.

Thanks for the heads up. Something happened when I tried to update the post. I've been having troubles with this website.  It could be that I am still in the process of learning how to use it. I think that I have my original post fixed?  I keep getting messages that I'm not authorized to do things like even posting PMs.  I really don't think that my button has any brass to it.  Let's see what other people think.  It came from the yard of an 1840s home.
I see your picture is back now. Don't worry about posting snafus; it happens to all of us. I've done double posts, omitted pics , etc any number of times. If you get a message about PM authorization I think it has to do with being a new member. Seems like I can remember something about having to post a certain number of times (50?) before the PM feature is available. You may be right about the brass content----there are a number of non-ferrous compounds that buttons can be made of. Nice, interesting find. Should be some old coins at an 1840's home. Keep looking and keep posting.
I agree on the snap button , it is hard to tell what material it is from the pic. It is a nice find.
That looks like a great place to hit hard , there's gotta be more old stuff there.
HH
Pat
Congratulations on the oldie. Not sure what it is but I know it has some age to it. I did not think it was a button, but I don't much about buttons. lol. Good luck and hope you continue finding those oldies.

FYI, earlier I commented on this post from my phone. But some how it disappeared. Oh well, hope this one sticks.
Reference URL's