Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: You Gotta See This...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A 2,100 year old Chinese mummy, almost perfectly preserved. Astounding. This is as much a treasure as anything we'd find in the ground, and much more. Enlarge the photo and look how much life is still left in the body. She still has her hair!!!

http://nypost.com/2016/12/01/nobody-know...preserved/
Holy cow, that is one hell of an embalming job. They got their money's worth.
Buried 40 feet below ground and arms and legs are flexible. Beats the Egyptians by a hell of a lot.
That's crazy. And scary. I'm about to go to sleep and have nightmares...lol
Yea, that's crazy. Best preserved mummy for sure!
I think she's so well preserved because ugly goes clear to the bone.
It says she was over weight perhaps the fat content of the body helped preserve it? I'm not sure how long animal or human fat lasts i'm sure the body was kept at a good temp also being in a hillside.
This is a fascinating story---anything archaeological gets me going right away. If I remember right, her husband and son were also found in the same remarkable state.
Seems that every time we think we have all the answers to the past, something pops up to confound us. China is such a big, largely unknown entity archaeologically speaking, I'm sure there will be many more revelations. Remember the terra cotta army found in the emperor's tomb--probably just a hint at what's yet to be found.
(12-02-2016 03:05 AM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]That's crazy. And scary. I'm about to go to sleep and have nightmares...lol

The image is a bit unsettling, but equally fascinating at the same time.

(12-02-2016 10:22 AM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Yea, that's crazy. Best preserved mummy for sure!

Best I've ever seen. Still has her hair, skin, etc. That is WILD. When I first saw the photo, I actually thought it had to be fake, as it's just so odd & improbable.

(12-03-2016 09:43 AM)Cladjunky Wrote: [ -> ]It says she was over weight perhaps the fat content of the body helped preserve it? I'm not sure how long animal or human fat lasts i'm sure the body was kept at a good temp also being in a hillside.

I don't know, but you bring up a good point, which I didn't consider. Aside from the terrific preserving technique, maybe her weight did have something to do with it. To me, that would make sense.

(12-03-2016 10:38 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]This is a fascinating story---anything archaeological gets me going right away. If I remember right, her husband and son were also found in the same remarkable state.
Seems that every time we think we have all the answers to the past, something pops up to confound us. China is such a big, largely unknown entity archaeologically speaking, I'm sure there will be many more revelations. Remember the terra cotta army found in the emperor's tomb--probably just a hint at what's yet to be found.

Aside from the preserving technique, which was very advanced, as C.J. said, maybe weight was a factor in helping to keep the body intact? What about diet? They say this woman was plagued by many health issues, but, overall, the Asian's tend to be much healthier than those of Western civilizations, so maybe that had a hand in it, as well.

It's an almost surreal image. I'm not sure exactly how long it takes an average body to fully decompose, but surely it's nowhere near 2,100 years. All that should be left of this woman is bones. Yet, she has basically her entire body still intact. Mindblowing.
Reference URL's