Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Cold day detecting but had fun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there folks, it was a windy cold day but I had to get out because my work days are coming soon. I went to a hill area where I had been before but this time I was able to get some take home pay......three wheat cents (oldest was 1920, then 1940 and 41). I was very surprised to see a 1943D mercury dime make the sunlight today, very cool find (no brag - I just haven't scored a mercury in awhile, and this one didn't ring up as silver (maybe the machine was too cold or the dirt was bad).
I started to take a picture of the silver rim that was showing after I dug the plug but the darn phone battery crapped out and the phone shut off. Must have got cold in my shirt pocket, next time I'll bring a warmer. So you will have to put up with a blurry home photo and I included the clad for you know who.

Best of luck to all who venture out, great weather here in NJ, no bugs and not many folks to bug you.....enjoy it while you can.
You do care! Nice hunk of change and love them Mercury also perhaps the dime was on edge? I noticed I get a high tone when its on edge but the numbers are wierd on the Makro. Pops and I went out for about an hour but 37 was a bit cold for us we are a 40 plus hunting team.
Clad, no problem at all. Yeah, must have been on edge because it was just peeking out from the side of the plug towards the bottom of it.
Cold, you have to dress for it, I do - otherwise I wouldn't be out there.
I am over the hill when it comes to age, retired a few years back by the company I worked for and now I work watching grand kids three or four days a week. They say it keeps you young...I don't know about that one.

Stay warm or go detecting is my new motto for this weather.
Nice merc tony, she's pretty! Keep it up and best of luck!

I was out today as well, 6 hr hunt. I wore....boxers, long johns, jeans and sweat pants. 2 pairs of socks, 2 shirts, a hoodie and a warm jacket..2 pairs of gloves...nice hunting boots, a face mask, a beanie and my hat with my hood up. I was warm in mid 30s with 20 mph wind. Probably dressed for Antarctica. Just gotta watch out when you're walking towards the wind in the field. I usually have my nose uncovered from the mask and it gets chilly. I'm constantly sick with a cold from these winds lately.
Thanks Zach! (This is my 3.5 post for today, at these rates I might not get any treasures) I would say you were over dressed for that outing but 6 hours is a bit much in this weather. You probably were right after all and being sick to boot. Dress for it is the correct thing to do.
I was out around 3 hours and tried two different spots as Joe pointed out on a post recently. I hunted with my back to the wind whenever possible and I can tell you this the weather man or woman was wrong today - it was so darn windy - it blew me to Pittsburgh all the way from NJ, yikes!
Congratulations on the Merc and wheaties! Looks like a good hunt even if it was a little cold. Hope you continue getting out and stay warm. GL!
Thanks Updownup, it was a good hunt and I am glad I hit it before the hunt was over

Good luck out there
Nice merc Bigt , it looks like it was worth getting a little chilled out there. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Pat
Silver and wheats make for a good hunt any time Tony, even if you have to endure some cold conditions to get them. Congrats on the merc. Some of the posters are talking about the weather bringing the detecting activity to a halt, so you are fortunate to still be able to get out. Hope it lasts a bit longer for everyone. Still mild here--mid 50's in the daytime.
Love the Merc Big T! Yes As long as I can keep my head, hands and feet warm, I'm okay until the ground freezes solid or the snow is 6 inches deep. I actually start perspiring humping up and down ravines in the woods in this weather so I stay moderately dressed otherwise to cut down on the damp clothing from within.

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's