Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Key date Barber and #'s 44-48 YTD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[attachment=9114][attachment=9115][attachment=9116][attachment=9117][attachment=9118]Joe and I got out on Friday and hit a small park near me. I found the 2 Rosies. On Sunday we went to our favorite park for 5 hours. I found the 1901-S dime first followed by the 1929 SLQ and then the 1900-S dime. When I got home I looked up the Barbers and discovered the 1901-S has the third lowest mintage at 590,000! I've been detecting for over 25 years and I believe these 2 Barbers are the first "S" Barbers I"ve ever found and I found two in one day! Strange hobby. Anyway, maybe someone would tell me what grade they think the 1901-S is because it could be worth 200-300 dollars.
Gerry
Cool finds, congratulations! You guys go to some cool parks and always bring home a good days pay too!
I thought someone already gave us a link to a grading site, or am I wrong? I think it was Ed, but I could be wrong there too.
(12-05-2016 12:07 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Cool finds, congratulations! You guys go to some cool parks and always bring home a good days pay too!
I thought someone already gave us a link to a grading site, or am I wrong? I think it was Ed, but I could be wrong there too.

Thanks Tony
I looked at the various grading sites and I kind of narrowed it down but was interested in what other posters think. There's a couple of scratches on the back (hopefully not by me!) so it will reduce the value. I have no intention of selling it anyway.
Gerry
What a score. I know you're a coin lover, and wouldn't even consider selling that baby, but just think of all the parking tickets we can pay off or meters we can feed when hunting Chuckle

I looked my Rosie up. It's only worth $1.10, but in VF condition it's $2.80!!! LOL

FANTASTIC pulls Yes
Congratulations on a grand hunt Gerry. Two "s" Barbers in one day, and one of them an 01 is just super. I'd say "no sale" regardless of the grade. From what I've read the biggest determination between good and very good is the number  of letters visible in the Liberty headband. Hard to tell from pic but it looks as though some are visible, so I would venture a guess of mid VG. But that's just a guess from someone with no practical grading experience. Hope I'm not way off.
(12-05-2016 11:51 AM)Gerry F Wrote: [ -> ]Joe and I got out on Friday and hit a small park near me. I found the 2 Rosies. On Sunday we went to our favorite park for 5 hours. I found the 1901-S dime first followed by the 1929 SLQ and then the 1900-S dime. When I got home I looked up the Barbers and discovered the 1901-S has the third lowest mintage at 590,000! I've been detecting for over 25 years and I believe these 2 Barbers are the first "S" Barbers I"ve ever found and I found two in one day! Strange hobby. Anyway, maybe someone would tell me what grade they think the 1901-S is because it could be worth 200-300 dollars.
Gerry
Nice silvers, especially barbers, that 1901 s is awesome! well done! gl and hh!
Nice digs Gerry Yes

gotta love finding key date coins!

As an ex coin dealer and from what I know/can see of the coin - I'd say it's somewhere in the VG-8 range for grade (VG details) but with a scratched reverse so the value is affected a bit but even so = I'd say it's still a $125/$150 coin as is Yes

congrats Beer
(12-05-2016 07:58 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice digs Gerry Yes

As an ex coin dealer and from what I know/can see of the coin - I'd say it's somewhere in the VG-8 range for grade (VG details) but with a scratched reverse so the value is affected a bit but even so = I'd say it's still a $125/$150 coin as is Yes

congrats Beer

Thanks for the 411, Wayne Yes Gerry's a coin nut, so I don't think he'd ever sell it, but it's nice to know he got a great keeper.
WOW! 2 S's in one hunt!!!! Yes Usually here it's 1-S per year!!! No Congrats on the 1901! Beer I agree with MRH on the grade but have no real dealer experience, just hard knocks! Anyway you look at it, you found a rare one and that's all that counts! GREAT HUNT! Go back and hammer that place!

ps... love that SLQ too!!!

Ed
(12-05-2016 07:58 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice digs Gerry Yes

congrats Beer

Thanks Wayne. That's about what I thought. Too bad it has scratches. I hope I didn't do it. I'm usually very careful and haven't scratched a coin in years but who knows. I'm not selling it anyway. Hope to give all my finds to my granddaughter.
Gerry
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's