Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Old Whites Commercial
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gotta love Whites Tongue Some of their marketing is OUT there, but say what you will, I bought my first detector after seeing one of their commercials. Admittedly though, it wasn't as bad as this one. Normally, I have the limousine pick me up AFTER my hunts Chuckle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6P4Pjohrus
Thanks for the humorous look back at the Whites' ads Joe. This was a doozy, but I can remember a bunch that were clever and real attention getters.

This got me thinking about how I first learned about detectors and how I formed an interest in them. When I was in the 6th or 7th grade, two men came to our school (which used to be an older high school) and searched the yard with detectors. It was such a novel thing at that time that the principal had all the classes go out and sit on the high front steps and porch of the school and watch the men work; all this so that we could learn about the science behind the hobby, and maybe see some history come to light. They were busy digging and would come up every few minutes to show their finds, and since it was about 1959/60 all the coins were silvers, buffs, wheats , Indians etc. and of course, no pull tab junk. There were a few rings too, as I recall, and since these guys were the first, they came away with handfuls of coins.  I was fascinated and wanted a detector but sadly it was another 12  more years or so before I honed my interest and also had the means to get one (lost opportunity!!). And Joe  it was a Whites, thanks to their ads. Oh to be able to go back and be the first on a rich site like a school yard!

I'd be interested in hearing how others on the forum came to the hobby. Since finds are slow right now, this might be an interesting topic to discuss.
Thanks for the video - it was fun.

Those guys at your school were lucky back then. These days you get the boot or told to leave and come back when there isn't any school. I had two occasions where the principal wouldn't allow a ring recovery and my friend who insisted got us thrown off that property and told never to come back. I guess they were afraid of us and thought we were dangerous.
(12-14-2016 12:54 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the humorous look back at the Whites' ads Joe. This was a doozy, but I can remember a bunch that were clever and real attention getters.

This got me thinking about how I first learned about detectors and how I formed an interest in them. When I was in the 6th or 7th grade, two men came to our school (which used to be an older high school) and searched the yard with detectors. It was such a novel thing at that time that the principal had all the classes go out and sit on the high front steps and porch of the school and watch the men work; all this so that we could learn about the science behind the hobby, and maybe see some history come to light. They were busy digging and would come up every few minutes to show their finds, and since it was about 1959/60 all the coins were silvers, buffs, wheats , Indians etc. and of course, no pull tab junk. There were a few rings too, as I recall, and since these guys were the first, they came away with handfuls of coins.  I was fascinated and wanted a detector but sadly it was another 12  more years or so before I honed my interest and also had the means to get one (lost opportunity!!). And Joe  it was a Whites, thanks to their ads. Oh to be able to go back and be the first on a rich site like a school yard!

I'd be interested in hearing how others on the forum came to the hobby. Since finds are slow right now, this might be an interesting topic to discuss.

I had a detector when I was a kid, Shade. Nothing fancy, just a Radio Shack model. But it worked! And being a kid, digging up loose change was like real treasure to me, as it bought lots of candy & junk food from the local deli, lol. One day though, for whatever reason, I put it down and rarely (if ever) picked it up again.

So I guess my Indian Jones ambitions were laying dormant deep inside me for many years, until I saw a Whites commercial on T.V. one day, and said; "I'm gettin me one of those!!!" All I heard was the voiceover artist saying; "You too can find the GOOD stuff." And all I remember seeing was the flashy diamond ring they showed on screen, and the new truck the guy said he bought from selling it!!! Chuckle

I remember very distinctly going to a dealer here in NJ to buy one, and I took it with me to work the next day in Brooklyn. At lunch, me and my boss's brother Kevin went to an old park, one that I grew up by, and we proceeded to hunt. I got a hit a few minutes later, and the signal was HUGE when I pinpointed it. Kevin said; "What does that mean?" I replied; "That means it's big. It could be a jar or chest with coins or something!!!" I dug a hole about a foot deep, Kevin's staring at the ground, we're all panting with baited breath, and out comes...

An old NY license plate Tongue Not the most exciting entree into the hobby, but a funny one, for sure.
Reference URL's