Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Minelab Bootcamp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Have any of the Minelabers attended one of Andy Sabisch's bootcamps in the past?
If so share your experiences
BT
Never been to a Sabisch bootcamp, though a fella I hunted with a few times did. He enjoyed it very much, and considered it a good investment, as they can be pretty pricey affairs. Don't think it would hurt to have him in front of you at an event, as some hands-on instruction would be nice, as would the luxury of having questions answered which mightn't be covered in his books. Even if you got one or two good nuggets of information out of it, could be worth it.

I didn't even know he was doing those anymore. Seen a lot of guys over the years say some unpleasant things about Sabisch, questioning his reviews in the detector magazines to the amount of books he puts out, etc., but in my mind, the guy's been around forever, and really knows his stuff.
I wanted to go especially after I read his book on Exp and Etrac. Still I never made time while I was working full time and now I looked it up and didn't see many events scheduled.
If I purchased a CTX - I would consider that or another form to bring me up to speed instead of trial and error.
Sabisch's book on the CTX is about 70% worthless pictures and stories that do nothing to help someone learn to operate the machine. It's an overpriced rendering of the manual written simply to generate revenue off of expectations that it would be somewhat useful like his Deus/Exp,etrac books. It was three years late and 150 pages short of information. The boot camp attendees must be asked to sign a non-disclosure setting because I have never read where any one of them came forward and said specifically how it helped , which leads me to believe it is simple hands on explanation of the manual. Same with the Deus bootcamps. The only ones who I have seen recommending the camps after they have been there are either sycophants or individuals who have been signed up to be new instructors.

I would have a hard time justifying the cost ,( $125 last I heard) even if it was in the town I lived in much less in a different town where I had living expenses to deal with in addition to the cost of the lecture. He claims to get special rates somewhere on housing for attendees but I'll bet he cuts himself in on some of that action as well. I'll give him credit for being a capitalist!Smirk
Dusty
Do I sense a little animosity here. ;-)
I've Gota ask, from the looks of your profile you have been using a 3030 for a few years.
How did you learn the machine? Were you lucky enough to have a friend close that was experienced ?
Just pic it up and go ? Or What?
When I got mine , I didn't have a computer so could not access the software and instructions , so I read forums , watched videos and found Andys book that to me in my situation was very helpful.
I was clueless with the 3030 no one close at first, I did talk with a guy that's about 40 miles away that has one and Probably could contact him if needed, nice guy on the phone.
I did have some experience with the Safari, somsome basic , but there's a big difference between the two.
I need to find someone that's been to a Bootcamp and talk with them and then decide if it's worth the effort and money
Thanks for the input
BT
Dusty, those folks might be detector dealers who want to learn a few tibits to help sales and let minelab know they went to school...ha ha ha

It would be ashamed if folks got ripped off but he is getting older and how does he have the time to do so much, makes me wonder.
I had a leg up on the CTX because I cut my teeth on the etrac first when it comes to FBS machines and tones. I thought after a White's XLT the etrac was possessed when I first stared using it but dug the tones and the targets until it all gelled. There are a few videos on usage on-line that are helpful but most are made to gratify the videograhers ego not to be informative. Videos continue to ruin this hobby in my opinion by attracting people with the wrong expectations and motivations but that's for another thread. I have never used the computer interface with either machine nor the etrac emulator because I am a tech dummy,,,just read the manual and used them. Pretty basic really.

Sergei's site that I posted on the other link was far more helpful than either of Andy's books and Gary's videos on the XP site are much better as well,,,and they're free!!
Findmall has an entire thread of CTX operational videos that are very informative if you prefer to watch rather than read. I doubt you will see any of the "finer" techniques that are shown with the CTX there in any "boot camp".

There are two types of people in this hobby when it comes to motivations. Those who pursue the hobby passionately and know there can be a reward with a detector and those looking for a reward OFF of the detectors. Nothing wrong with either outlook but it's nice to be up straight about it from the start.
(12-21-2016 10:33 PM)Ben Town Wrote: [ -> ]Dusty
Do I sense a little animosity here. ;-)
I've Gota ask, from the looks of your profile you have been using a 3030 for a few years.
How did you learn the machine? Were you lucky enough to have a friend close that was experienced ?
Just pic it up and go ? Or What?
When I got mine , I didn't have a computer so could not access the software and instructions , so I read forums , watched videos and found Andys book that to me in my situation was very helpful.
I was clueless with the 3030 no one close at first, I did talk with a guy that's about 40 miles away that has one and Probably could contact him if needed, nice guy on the phone.
I did have some experience with the Safari, somsome basic , but there's a big difference between the two.
I need to find someone that's been to a Bootcamp and talk with them and then decide if it's worth the effort and money
Thanks for the input
BT

The best advice I would give is the same I and most others do when they buy a new detector, and that is...

Read the manual 4 or 5 times, watch as many Youtube videos as you can that feature the CTX, and then just get in the field and dig with the machine. In time, you'll learn the unit. If you have someone local to you that swings a 3030, try to shack up with them, too.

I've read Andy's book on the Quattro, as it also mirrors much of how the Safari operates, and I enjoyed it. Yes, a lot of the information was repetitive, but there were quite a few tips that weren't, and made it worth the read.

As I said earlier in the thread, mentioning Andy's name provokes a lot opinions, many of them not good. A lot of that has to do with the reviews he does in the treasure hunting magazines. Many feel that he's biased in favor of the detector companies, and never met a detector he didn't like. That may or may not be true, but I don't think it has anything to do with his knowledge. Yes, he likes to make a buck through the hobby, and doing what he loves, but it's no worse than all of the idiots that jumped on the television bandwagon seeking to be rich & famous by starring in their own shows.

A fella I know entered the hobby brand new, bought a CTX as his first machine, and found over 300 silvers the next year. Just goes to show, with enough practice, you'll get the hang of it. Besides, it could be worse...

You could have bought a V3i. You need a damn PhD just to set the damn thing up! Chuckle
Dusty
I agree ,most people watch the videos and see all the " GOOD " stuff come out of the ground in the extremely edited videos and think that's what's going to happen all the time.
But in the real world it's not that way.
It's a long search for permission first and then hours of searching looking for the spot, not counting alll the research just to locate a possible location to put the detector to the ground before you ever find the first piece of junk and maybe a coin or relic if your lucky.
Its not easy.
I got a detector as another hobbie to keep this old retired laborer going. It's just another daytime hobby. Sure If I find a valuable coin or artifact that's good but I just enjoy being out doing something.
The wife says the boys toys get more expensive with age? She may have it figured out.
I have lots of other interests and just enjoy getting back into this hobby after a 30 year long absences .
It's just part of the puzzle.
BT
Ben,
Your wife's correct (don't tell her I said that) and keeping the price of this hobby under control can be a real issue , believe me , I'm the worst. On more than one occasion I have determined an activity or accessory is a poor value and decided to partake it in anyway. I will never get back half of what I've spent on equipment if I should sell.

I don't understand the need to go to a boot camp to learn a metal detector in the first place so I can't relate if that is someones motivation. However , the lack of unbiased reviews by attendees and the cancellation of scheduled events , tells me the lack of demand is indicative of the value. If there were hidden secrets and techniques being revealed I'm sure they would be all over the net and people would be standing in line to do the camps , instead of excuses about lack of sites and difficulty in scheduling.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's