Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Coinstar almost gave it up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, damn.

I snagged the 3 coins sitting on the ledge of the coinstar machine when I saw the return was empty. My heart started racing when I got home and saw the date on the 1 cent coin.

I did some research before i got too happy and found out its counterfeit. Damn, just damn.

Seems this fella named Bashlow found some original, although beat up, coin dies in 1961 and proceeded to make himself a few coins.

The date on this one is 1862 and this was from a setĀ  of 'tokens' minted in the early 1960's and sold during Civil War centennial observances.

Well, at least the Bahama cent is purdy, and I can flip the other one with no mistakingĀ  who 'wins' or 'loses'.
Those are some killer coins to get from a Coinstar, even if one of them is a counterfeit. Some counterfeit coins can still be worth some dough, so be sure to check on that. Good eye, and thanks for posting them.
GH, that coin would have fooled me too, I would have been just as excited. Cool finds though
Counterfeit or not it's still a great find. Thanks for sharing some great finds with us.
Pat
That is really a shame. I'll bet your were on top of the world before you did your research and saw you had a counterfeit item. Still very interesting coins and quite a story too. Hope Santa treats you better.
Congrats GH on keeping an eye out for that happenstance. I swear if I walk by one more of those things without looking in the tray, I'll poke my eyes out!

Ed
Ed, it's hit or miss ever time. You have to keep at it to score a few keepers.
My brother took my advice and scored two merc's recently after only getting the usual foreign coins. Good luck out there
Reference URL's