Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Digging plugs in frozen ground
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Stevo, now that is a Die Hard Detectorist for sure.....
What I HAVE considered numerous times - though it wouldn't be feasible for more than a very small area - is to bring a portable water tank with me during the Summer, when the ground is super dry. My thinking was to manually spray down each area, thereby adding moisture to the soil, as I detected, section by section. The only downside to the idea (and it's a big one) is, if there was nowhere to replenish the water nearby, a single tank like the one below wouldn't cover a large enough area well.

Of course, I was only pondering this application for use in extreme scenarios, where I had a prime spot with lots of goodies and the ground was bone dry. But it's simply not practical as the water would only moisturize a very small sized area, and thusly, wouldn't be worth the effort.
(12-31-2016 04:28 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]What I HAVE considered numerous times - though it wouldn't be feasible for more than a very small area - is to bring a portable water tank with me during the Summer, when the ground is super dry. My thinking was to manually spray down each area, thereby adding moisture to the soil, as I detected, section by section. The only downside to the idea (and it's a big one) is, if there was nowhere to replenish the water nearby, a single tank like the one below wouldn't cover a large enough area well.

Of course, I was only pondering this application for use in extreme scenarios, where I had a prime spot with lots of goodies and the ground was bone dry. But it's simply not practical as the water would only moisturize a very small sized area, and thusly, wouldn't be worth the effort.

What about 5 gal pails with lids, man if it was a good area might be worth it.
(01-01-2017 11:09 AM)Steveo Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2016 04:28 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]What I HAVE considered numerous times - though it wouldn't be feasible for more than a very small area - is to bring a portable water tank with me during the Summer, when the ground is super dry. My thinking was to manually spray down each area, thereby adding moisture to the soil, as I detected, section by section. The only downside to the idea (and it's a big one) is, if there was nowhere to replenish the water nearby, a single tank like the one below wouldn't cover a large enough area well.

What about 5 gal pails with lids, man if it was a good area might be worth it.

Would be worth it if it was a killer spot, and good finds where everywhere. The idea was only to use it when the ground was terrible...bone dry. It would surely work, but the amount of water (even in a 5 gallon kickbucket) wouldn't be enough to cover anything more than a small area, well. The goal wouldn't just be to soak the first few inches, but, rather, to completely moisten the soil down to 5", 6" or so. A 5 gallon bucket might only be enough to cover 3'X3' or something in that range.

Desperate fantasy is more along the lines of what the idea was. But believe me, I've come close to actually trying it out on more than a few occasions, Steve Chuckle
Yeah, killer spot for sure ....like you definitely know there is a treasure down a bit and want to retrieve it in bad weather while no one is around!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's