Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Very Cool Story
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the help of their dad, these two little guys found a gold coin on a treasure hunt, which was planted by a local coin shop. Read the clues and see how they wound up finding it...

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/tr...gold-prize
What an awesome story , I wish things like that happened in my area , my 8 year old likes to geocache and is quite good at figuring out clues.
  Thanks for sharing it.
Pat
That really is a cool story Joe, and what a way for a dad to spend time with his sons. They will remember the adventure forever. Wish I could partake in something similar---the lure of a treasure hunt is irresistible. Too far from the Rockies to look for Forrest Fenn's million dollar treasure chest. Heck; I didn't even get to Charlotte to look for the $1000 pennies from Ally Bank. (Last I heard four had been found.)
(12-31-2016 12:09 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]That really is a cool story Joe, and what a way for a dad to spend time with his sons. They will remember the adventure forever. Wish I could partake in something similar---the lure of a treasure hunt is irresistible. Too far from the Rockies to look for Forrest Fenn's million dollar treasure chest. Heck; I didn't even get to Charlotte to look for the $1000 pennies from Ally Bank. (Last I heard four had been found.)

I would look for Fenn's treasure, but I would need to make sure it is actually real before doing so, and I don't think there would be any definitive way to do so. Not saying he DIDN'T bury anything, but common sense should dictate that if there's a book publishing deal in play (which there is), the voracity of the whole deal must be scrutinized. A few people lost their lives looking for the treasure.

Wonder if there's any type of exit strategy on Fenn's part, if there is indeed anything buried? Does he dig it up after a few years, and simply keep it for himself, along with the profits from his book? I vaguely remember reading the clues a few years back, and they were so esoteric in nature, and covering such a large area, that one would have a better chance of finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. I know it wasn't MEANT to be easy, but still. You're probably talking about thousands of square miles to search...and that's even IF you can correctly figure out the clues, first. Even medic choppers have difficulty finding downed planes in such large areas.

Now, here's an alternative. I was watching an episode of Oak Island about a month ago, and they had these cutting-edge drones that can fly over hundreds of square miles in about 30 minutes time. They can map all of the coordinates, and even had heat seeking capabilities, where they can detect anomalies in the ground. If one was able to pinpoint the area down to a size of that scope via the clues, I can see this type of technology, or something similar, going in and finding "hot spots" where things are buried. Still a long shot, but reduces the labor, exertion & searching that would need to be done otherwise.

A lot of guys don't like posts like these, as they're the jealous types. Or haters. But I myself am happy if someone finds something good, as it excites me, and they're just plain fun to read.
Cool story Joe, and a cool way for dad to spend time with his son too.
Many clubs have kids hunts and the look on their faces is priceless. So this was a good idea and fun.

I think Forrest Fenn is telling the truth about hiding his cashe but it's too far away for me to be involved in a real search. If I get to go on vacation out there with the family I might just look around a bit but that probably will not come to pass.
There are other folks who have done the same as him but made it several cashes and of different denominations (10,000 - 40,000 and I think 100,000). also too far away from NJ for me.
I had to post these two links, as Shade brought up Forrest Fenn, which I know is an exciting topic for us all. I did some searching online, and found the following stories. The first link is an interview with the widow of the gentleman that died while searching for Fenn's treasure. Any basis to her claims, or just harsh words from a widow in deep mourning? I don't know, but it was a powerful read.

The second link is a story featuring a few people who've actually searched for the treasure.

http://www.westword.com/news/forrest-fen...it-8240120

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/lo...16a69.html

Here's a good question...

Suppose someone finds the treasure, and like me, they choose not to report it...for a myriad of reasons. Does Fenn go and make sure the thing is still there from time to time? What happens when he dies?

As anyone who's played scratch tickets before knows, there's a way one can look up how many of the big prizes have not been won up until the present moment. This ensures people aren't buying tickets and all of the grand prizes are gone. Well...

What if the treasure has already been found, and we just don't know about it?
Joe, that was sad that person lost his life searching for the treasure. I read about it and wondered why he would think that a cancer stricken man who is over 75 would venture on a canoe over rapids to cashe his treasure, that didn't make sense to me, did it to you?
What happens if he dies? The story lives on as a legacy in his name and according to him makes folks get out in the open air to enjoy nature.
Don't get me wrong - it's a cool story and sold plenty of books but for me you really need to be either young or close to the area in order to search for it but that is my opinion.
What do others think about Forrest Fenn's loot?
I think he did hide the treasure , I kind of wonder if someone found it and said nothing. I hope someone does find it and says something , it will be a great read.
Pat
Reference URL's