Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Opinion needed Garrett Ace 400 vs Land Ranger Pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am mainly going in local fields for relics & coins. I could use pros & cons on each. This will be my first detector.
I have never used the Land Ranger but the Ace 400 would be hard to beat. Iron audio is very nice.
Ace 400 all the way its 10khz helps with jewelry finds and the Iron audible lets you know if your swinging over iron objects as it will make a very distinct crackling type sound. Ace 400 uses 4 AA batterys that last along time and when you do go over a coin it has a very Distinctive Bell tone. The Stock coil makes it feel alittle heavy on the front but it will get you good Depth. After market coils can help lighten the load but the stock one will get you going. Land Ranger is alittlle lighter but it also will not give you Iron Audible/bell tone 2 things that will make it so easy to hit the coins. I am just starting my 2nd year of detecting and I have gone through a ton of detectors I keep upgrading to more and more complicated detectors the Ace400 I bought 4 days after it came on the market and i Put a ton of time into it. You can find coins with any detector but the Ace400 talks to you with its bell tone to the point you know its a coin or not. 339.00 for a Solid top of the line Ace is also a great price.
Land Ranger Pro -----------vs---------Ace400
$275-300.00-----------------------------$339.00
2014 Tech--------------------------------2016 Tech
7.69 khz----------------------------------10 khz
2.5 lbs weight--------------------------- 2.9 Lbs weight
4 tone can be changed----------------3 tone set
Ground balance Auto/Manual-------Factory set Ground balance
1 9v battery------------------------------4 AA batteries
11 inch DD coil--------------------------11 inch DD coil
5 year warranty-------------------------2 year warranty
Prices are roughly the same. Detection depths are pretty close to same also Ace400 10khz helps find smaller gold but the LR manual Ground Balance may help you if you have alot of crazy soil. I prefer the raised buttons of the Ace400 over the bubble buttons of the Land Ranger I have found them to be unreliable. Ace400 has great recovery speed meaning if you have items close together it will sound off mulitiple times letting you know the same with the LR but to a lesser ability. The Ace400 is very easy to start with and learn with while the Land Ranger has more options. Both detectors have the ability to notch out items you don't want to detect Landranger pro has more notches but if your relic hunting you may prefer not notching anything out. If you have any questions about any of the terms I have used feel free to ask i'll explain them Happy
My final word would be Land Ranger Pro alittle less quality build but alot more options you can tweak if you like. The Ace400 better build quality with less hassle over options since most are factory set. Both will find you relics and coins at roughly the same depth.

I found this review on youtube you may like it. Ace400vsLRP link
Three post today -

I never used a Land Ranger - I can't compare but I have used Garretts, GMH CXII and ACE machines.
They are great coin hunters and pinpoint easily. They do offer small or large coils, which is a plus.
The older Freedom Ace I had used three 9 volt batteries and it went deep. One time I found a silver ring at 10 inches but I wanted a meter unit and I sold it.
Garrett are were built and last a good while.
Just my opinion, but of the two, I'd opt for the Ace. They've been around for years, are made by one of the best manufacturers in the business, and Garrett has excellent customer service.

Give River Team Six Metal Detectors a call (post above), he'll put you into a great deal on a package Yes
As everyone else, I'll agree on the ace series. And now with the VDI it's hard to beat for a beginner detector that will still perform great. Ace 400 all the way! Stay away from the bounty hunter pinpointers like Joe said. Many cheaper pointers aren't worth it. Basically have to be touching the object. A good percentage either use the garret original garret II or the garret AT.
Best of luck and let us know what you decide on or if you need any other help!
Hello! Thanks to all who replied. It was an overwhelming YES for the Garrett....So,  I just spoke with my local detector contact and I am picking up my new Garrett Ace 400 (with included accessories) later this week! This is a birthday present from me to me. 
I am sure there will be some questions along the way.
Good luck with your new present Yes
Happy early birthday and enjoy! We will all love to answer any questions you have about anything along the way. Best of luck, happy hunting and....patience! Look foward to your first finds YesYes
Now that's a nice birthday present, and I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot. Now read up. get out and practice, practice, and have fun learning your new detector. We'll be waiting to see what you find. Don't worry if some of it seems confusing at first; you'll get the hang of it quickly and listening and interpreting will become second nature.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's