Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Any good areas to dig in SE Penna, Delaware or Maryland?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am getting my new Garrett Ace 400 on Sat and trying to find places to go detecting. Any response is surely appreciated. Thanks
I'm from south new jersey so I'm not so sure, sorry. What you can do though is do research.
You can locate old houses near you via old maps found on Google(still standing or homesites that are gone are best that are in the field) or driving around and knock for permission. You can also use historicaerials.com to go back in time decently far back.
That can help you pinpoint houses on the old maps or find other good spots.
Best of luck!

http://library.princeton.edu/njmaps/counties/salem.html

This is a example, and one of the maps I use. A 1849 map of the surrounding area near me. If you click the map, and zoom in. You'll see black dots with names, those will be the home sites from that time or even older. For my case, up to 150 years older...
It's like a puzzle. You find the area you're in and find a spot you're familar with on the old map and start there.
Match the old dots on a googlemaps, and drop a pinpoint to the location. Once you get a few, it becomes alot easier to piece together.
You said you will be field hunting, so if those home sites from the old maps have fields. There you go. Ask permission and hope for the best.
As for public land or wildlife management areas, I'm not sure what is legal and what isn't in those states. So private land is the easiest unless you look up and figure out what works where.
Best of luck and I'm sure you'll get more answers and informationYesYes
Are you a dirt or sand type guy? If you are just starting out try a local area and go SLOW. Dig a bunch of stuff and see what the machine is telling you. Get some expierance under your belt before you start to travel. Travel costs money and if you don't come home with a few cool targets at the end off the day it wears away the fun
It would be a good idea to start locally at first. Like a park, school yard, old church if you can get permission. Just somewhere that you are likely to find enough stuff at first so that you can learn your machine. Modern coins aren't terribly exciting to me, but if you are finding them frequently, you can learn to distinguish the different tones easily. and then move on to better, older, more lucrative areas. It would also help to have a test area in your yard, or carry a few coins with you to toss on the ground and try to see what different items sound like while you can actually see them. Tony was correct when he said you can get discouraged easily if you are going willy nilly around and not having success. Take it easy and just practice at first, kind of like on the job training. The good stuff will come along in due time. In the mean time just have fun seeing what's there, wherever you start. Good luck!
What Zach , Tony and Shade said , but please learn to dig a good plug so when you do get permission the land owner doesn't regret it later. It makes getting permission in the future easier.
   Back several years ago when I first started dirtfishing , I read and reread my detector manual , then tossed down a few coins and other objects to learn the tones and VDI. At first I dug everything until I could distinguish the better targets. Just remember gold falls in the same range as pulltabs ... so sometimes to get the goodies ya gotta dig some junk.
   Have fun I hope this hobby is at least as rewarding to you as it is to me.
Pat
Reference URL's