Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Garrett Pro Pointer from China on Ebay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have bought loads of item over the years on Ebay and rarely have I had a problem. I came across this Ebay listing today. Would you chance it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Pro-Pointer-Pinpointer-Metal-Detector-Waterproof-ProPointer-Holster/282249616377?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D2220071%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3D533​ba9402b2046afa91d5de95871de72%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D302186883​661
I personally wouldn't. I have no clue about the ones that claim to be knockoffs.
But I have looked into garret pinpointer knockoffs that are identical besides a few different things. Color, the tip, the sound it makes turning on, the box, the font on the side and so on.
Now those, that are actual fakes...are horrible. You can see on YouTube. They aren't comparable and are pretty much worthless.
I looked into this because I've been looking into used pointers via ebay and other sites for my girlfriend and wanted to make sure I wasn't getting a fake.

The whites bullseye 2 which is cheaper, will do a better job than the Chinese knockoff.
But for a extra $25 you can get the original black garret pointer, new.
Spend the extra money I'd say if you can, it's a easier safer street.
And something that will grow with you. You won't need a different one or a better one.
What Zach said Yes
The from China thing scares me , I have bought a lot of things on EBay myself and the few things I ordered from China took a long time to arrive and quite often were not quite as good as I would have liked.
   I have the original Garrett pro pointer , it is an investment I have never regretted. A couple of my detecting buddies have the Minelab or White's pin pointers , they are nice , but for the money ( I am a cheapskate) I don't feel you can go wrong with the Garrett.
Maybe the deal is good , but the knockoff thing would cause me to hesitate. Maybe they could provide a serial number that you could check with Garrett to see if it is the real deal....
Pat
This is something you will use constantly something you need to make your metal detecting alot easier I would not chance it I would get the Pro Pointer II or the Garrett waterproof one spend the money now for something that will last a very long time with a good company standing behind it.
I'd say nix it. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. But for $66 USD, nope. $30, sure. If it lasts a season for $30, that's a deal. But for twice the cost of that, one of the Garretts will last a lot longer.

Ed
I have used Ebay with success, but I am always wary. Usually use it when the deal is a steal, and nothing much lost if it goes bad. We do have a classifieds section here on the forum that you might want to look at as an option. My best advice for safety and satisfaction is to go with a new one with warranty. If your local provider can't help you we also have at least two reputable dealers here at TC that I know of---Steveo and River Team Six.
Just what I thought....I ordered a brand Garrett Pro Pointer AT from someone in the good ole' USA!! Thanks to all again for your informative responses.
The garret carrot. It doesn't get any better than that. Enjoy!!!
Reference URL's