Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Utah Silver Coins, baby!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Went out today and detected an old military camp.  I found a nice honey hole!
The photo isn't great but they are,
1852 seated liberty dime. 
1856 seated half dime. 
1848 Mexican 8 reale piece. 

I also found a Navy button amongst the coins.  Great day!
[attachment=986]

Navy button.
Very nice !
Would love to hear the historic context of the finds.
Fantastic finds!!  Congrats on the great spot!!
Great day is an understatement.
Very nice!! Like Caprock said, can you tell us more about the history of the site, without giving away the location, obviously. Ray

Looks like someone played tic tac toe on the back of the half dime.
In 1858 the US sent Albert Sydney Johnston and his troops to Utah to keep an eye on the Mormons.  It was called the Utah War.  They camped in a few different places here until the settled on one for a couple of years.  There were 3000 or so Army in the group.  Never any real conflicts between the Army and the Mormons.  The Army left Utah as the Civil War broke out.  Johnston was killed at Shiloah.  One of the more interesting facts about the Army in Utah is that when they left some went to fight Union, some went to fight Confederate.  They left behind many treasures!
SLC,
thanks for the history, I love the stories behind the coins and relics,  that's really what it's all about
That is phenomenal! Sweeeeet!!! Been staring at this post for about 10 minutes Wink

Joe
(10-21-2013 10:37 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice!! Like Caprock said, can you tell us more about the history of the site, without giving away the location, obviously. Ray

Looks like someone played tic tac toe on the back of the half dime.

Ray, funny you should mention that, about the dime! There's an article in one of the treasure mags this month (can't remember which one) about a woman who found a seated dime with similar lines carved into it!!! That's freaky! I gotta copy the article & post it, cause this is weird.

Joe
The half does have what looks like tic Tac toe across the back.  The front has some cuts in it too.  I'll get some better photo's so you can see the detail better.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's