Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Filthy Rich?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

This gives new meaning to the term "filthy rich". I wonder who was asked to do the search?

OTTAWA, Ontario — A former Royal Canadian Mint employee who stole 22 cookie-sized pieces of refined gold by hiding them in his rectum has been sentenced to 30 months in prison.  
Thirty-five-year-old Leston Lawrence was found guilty last November of stealing the pieces from the mint and selling 17 of them through Ottawa Gold Buyers.  
Ontario Court judge Peter Doody on Thursday sentenced Lawrence and ordered him to pay a fine of US$145,900 (CA$190,000).  
Doody says the stolen gold was worth US$127,116.11 (CA$165,451.14).  
Court testimony indicated that Lawrence was involved in purifying recently procured gold and sometimes worked alone, out of sight of security cameras.
Wow, that really is a filthy way to steal! That is a weird story! Gl and hh!
Ouch! The initial theft sounds uncomfortable , and then if there was jail time that would be , and to top it off owing more than you stole that makes it a triple whammy.
   I guess it is true that crime doesn't pay.
Pat
Gold has a history of causing craziness.
Good story, I went and looked it up online after reading your post, Shade. So, let me get this straight...

They catch a guy stealing gold coins by sticking them up his ass, and he's caught and convicted...

Yet none of you even picked up on the Judge's name...

DOODY. Judge Doody! Fitting!!! Chuckle

In the story I read on another site, it says that the thief set the metal detectors off at work about 36 times in a 41 day stretch, and amazingly, it didn't raise any red flags. If the guards were that dumb, he should've been able to keep the loot!
Yecch! You'd think the dumb ass would have stopped at one and kept it to himself. Hope he bleached the suckers before he sold them. I guess greed makes real idiots of some people.

Ed
What a bunch of crap. I have heard of pay dirt but this is one wierd treasure story with a crappy ending to boot.
Reference URL's