Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Scored! Small Bag of Cobbs and Reales
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A friend of ours in the southern US sent me a small bag of silver cobbs and reales to re-sell for them. Wow, treasure coins, I once bought a bunch of them in an estate sale in GA with papers. I was excited, to see what was in the bag, figured I may have to get them authenticated etc. They looked really great when our friend held them up to her PC cam.

[attachment=9369]

My wife poured the bag onto the table..............................Crying

With in a split second I knew, they were modern day cast pewter replicas sold in souvenir shops in Florida.
http://www.coinsofourpast.com/coinpages/...npage.html

Had to tell our friend, neither one of us will be getting a new car......................
[attachment=9370]
Oh man that would be a bummer. To have that excitement of owning "genuine treasure", only to have that childhood dream crushed by the truth of it being a modern replica...damn! Cant win em all, but at least they still display nice in a shadow box Yes
Bummer, they look good for being reproduction. Most will also say copy on them.
Too bad Sven. I would have liked seeing a picture of you tooling around in that fine car. Copies and reproductions are rampant and a person has to be careful as they sometimes get passed off accidentally and sometimes intentionally as the real thing.
They look awfully real in the picture. I've never found a cobb before, so it would be tough to know for sure what a counterfeit is. I have seen a few fakes online though, and they are normally very thick, and they appear "off" in terms of the stamping, coloring, etc. They look too perfect. Which would make sense, as only the upper layer is silver, with a cheaper metal underneath. But I've heard that there are indeed all silver fakes too, some of which can be worth just as much as real ones.
Oh wow, I hope he didn't get taken? A few folks I knew bought large silver coins and thought they had made a score until they tested them with a magnet
Hard luck! There's always next time, though! Gl and hh!
Dreams up in smoke is all I gotta say! Man, that would have been a real cache if they were real reals!

Ed
Reference URL's