Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 3 more days out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lots more finds
Lead , copper, tinklers, nice button, a couple silver babbles ornate little pieces
In 4 days 214 digs
The new 17" coil is a hit, Took awhile to get pinpointing down and Finally just used the Minelab wiggle and it's very acccurate and fast
The 17" finds small stuff, no problem, the deepest dig was about 14" and it turned out to be a rusty 3/8 bolt 2.5" long ;-(
Was able to utilize the GPS Geo Hunt and covered each area very carefully each day, great feature, but the software " Exchange ll " leaves a little to be
desired .
Got a lead on another place for old relic hunting if I can get permission, fingers crossed.
A couple more hunts in the same area to see if I missed anything then off in the rest of the field and hit the high spots to check for any targets .
Starting to get comfortable with the 3030, but lots more to try and experiment with for sure
BT
Man Ben, you are digging up a storm! Love the relics! That heart shaped hosiery clip is a nice find. You have so many great finds I can't categorize them all in the old coconut!

Glad you could get out with the weather being so unusually fabulous. Hope you can do more. I suspected that the big coil would not be a problem. I'd use one but the thickets I work in give me a hard enough time with the 8.5 x11. Although I'm stubborn enough to go bigger.

And 214 digs in four days! If I do 30 in a five hour swing, it's a miracle! I really call the digs pretty close. (Am so tired of pull tabs way out in the woods!) So you must be fit as a fiddle! Keep it up young man.Chuckle Loving it! Yes

Ed
That's alot of knee bends! Great digs!
It's all good exercise.
The old legs were screaming the last couple days but ok now.
Going to take a day off and take care of other things, can't be fun and games every day ;-)
BT
That's a LOT of lead, and a bunch of other great relics. Seems you're starting to become one with the CTX Yes What do you mean when say the GPS software "leaves a little to be desired?"
I'm talking about the Exchange ll program that comes with the 3030 to download on the computer.
It allows you to save and back up everything on the detector.
You can build and edit and save programs for the 3030
You can save Geo hunts also can find spots on Googel Earth , mark a point and load it into the detector and use it as a GPS to locate that exact spot for a hunt.
It's all OK , has some nice features but they could improve it in my opinion.
Here is a pic of my computer screen showing the Geo Trails , this is nice as I can tell where I've been out in the middle of a 200 acre field.
But as you can see I lost one of my hunts in trying to get it saved in the software. I did one quadrant a day so this shows the track of 3 hunts on 3
different days.
You can add notes and pictures of finds , waypoints and find points
I guess some of my problems could be " operator error " but I won't admit that ?
I'm always learning
BT
Spent several more hours the last couple days .
Got a couple nice tinkers, a large copper button, that was 14" deep and when I found it I thought I had a coin, kinda a bittersweet find ;-)
Of coarse lots more lead and copper.
Will be spending all my Detecting time there before the farmer starts working the ground to plant, then off to the next project.
I've been testing auto vers manual on sensitivity with the 3030 . The ground is low mineral so auto plus 3 always worked well and in manual I was
running 26 and it just started to get noisy and auto was nice and quite. I run a modified relic mode, just to get some of the iron noise out and an open
screen.
This is a dig every consistent hit above small iron, and several faint maybes too.
So I'm talking 30-60 + digs in a good day. I expect this to drop considerably when I run out of "fresh ground", about 2 more hunts ;-)
I found for this site it didn't make a lot of difference , seemed to get consistent hits in both sensitivity modes.
I'm sure manual would be better for depth and that always sticks in my mind as I don't want to miss anything deep.
So my plan always starts in manual and after a few hrs I switch to auto +3 to sooth my aching ears.
I'm always experimenting with settings to see what happens, I like fast OFF , deep ON , combined audio , normal response,
FE coin for target separation , these are my preferred settings that seem to work best at this site.
If anyone has any suggestions on something different , I'm open to try and would report back.
I love this hobbie ;-)
BT
Here is the setting I use on the 3030 in relic mode sounds like we dig about the same signals, I use this program in England and here in the states. Used it last weekend in Illinois and still loved it all I eliminate is the small right lower corner small nails. I love to hear the iron helps find the building spots or major use areas in fair grounds. And it goes deep for small stuff got a lot of 22 shell ends last weekend such a good repeatable signal
Looks like you have been covering a lot of area make sure when you do a good area you go back and do it side ways you will be surprised what you will still find.
Happy Hunting

MODE: Relic
SUB-MODE: 2 Choices Here - either ZERO discrimination (no shaded boxes) or minimal discrimination ( just a small single line blocked out on the bottom right) You can choose either of these two sub settings by pushing the "detect" button on your CTX. Thats the button to the right of the power button. It has a picture of a metal detector coil with lines under it.
SENSITIVITY: Automatic +3 ( This is a smart machine and it seems to know when it can ramp up sensitivity and when it has to pull back.)
TONE ID PROFILE: Press the menu button once and you will see the frequency graph, press it again and you will be brought to the menu where you can adjust this: select "PROFILE TYPE" and make sure that 35 FE TONES is selected. This will give good conductive targets a "HIGH" tone and ferrous targets a "LOW" tone. Its easier for the ears to hear high tones so after a while your ears are just listening for the high tones.
RESPONSE: NORMAL
RECOVERY: FAST
RECOVERY: DEEP
TARGET SEPARATION: HIGH TRASH
PINPOINT: NORMAL

sorry did not see the photos before I replied some great stuff there I see silver pieces and parts, tinklers, 2 pieces of dragon side plate, gun tack, and then I see the owl broach is there any makers marks on it?
Good finds keep them coming
Don't think it's a broach very thin metal someone thought it maybe a hosiery clip
I've never tried anything other than combined mode, will give 35 tones a try and see what it does for me.
I have it set up so iron is very low tone and silver is very high , need to try something else to compare for sure
Thanks for the suggestions
BT
Well I am positive that it is a broach we do find the same one up here, there might be a makers mark on it. I will try to get you a picture give me a day. from what I can see unless you have something special on the big button. That owl broach is your best find and it is a great one. If you find bigger silver relics you will also see they are thin.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's