Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Best East Coast beach detector!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all.
Ok I am seeking advice before I purchase my 1st detector, Here are my requirements
NEW - I am not a used type of buyer 
$500 - $ 1000 - for my 1st machine this is good enough bugdet
Where  - NH Coast line - salt water - NO diving - Inland too - all around usage
Use - coin & jewelry to start
Technical - love gadgets so I consider myself tech savvy
I am sure there are many more things to consider and I will read all opinions and do the research
What I am considering:
Whites MX-Sport
Garrett AT Pro
Makro Razor 2
As you can see I am thinking mid-range detectors.
I thank you now and look forward to all your advice!Cool
Salt water will be your big bugaboo with any single frequency VLF so for those bucks you would be better off looking for a Soverign or other Minelab multi frequency machine. Not much to select from that's new without crowding the upper end of your price range unless you go PI which I wouldn't want for inland hunting.
sorry its over you budget but I would suggest the minelab Excalibur if you want the best in salt and fresh water hunting
So far only a couple of replies to my inquiry. I am surprised that everyone either recommends a high end machine or just do not do beach detecting. The Excalibur II is way out of my league and I do not intend to dive. I can find many reviews about beach detectors online. I am hoping that someone in this forum has personal experience. Thanks I will keep on researching.Cool
Which "beach detectors" are you seeing in the reviews?
If you can find a NEW detector that is waterproof , deals with salt water beach mineralization WELL , and costs less than $1000 , please post it for the rest of us to invest in.
I am finding many detectors under 1K but I know they are not the best for beach hunting according to those in the know. I am trying to find a happy medium Now I am thinking maybe a PI detector is the way to go. Yes there are a couple under 1K:
Whites Surfmaster PI Dual to name 1....
any other suggestions? 
PS Take a chill pill just looking for information!Yawn
A PI like the Surfmaster would be the most limiting of the choices you have.
If you can keep it dry a Safari would be a better choice or a CZ where you can chest mount the box
The first time you take your PI to a public park or someplace with a little trash you'll be kicking yourself in the A$$ for getting it.
If your not willing to go used , your choices are very limited,,,it is what it is.
I agree with the PI indications above. Saltwater beaches okay but all around no. If I were you I'd get an AT Pro or AT Gold for a starter unit as they handle beaches somewhat well but either is a killer on land. And you can find gold and coins on the beach with both, just depends how much time you put in and knowing the lay of the washouts. I don't do saltwater so I may be a tad off but I do Lake Erie shoreline beaches and even with all the iron up here in the great lakes, it's not too much of a chore with my AT Pro. Good luck with your search as reality is having a detector for saltwater and another for land use in the tool shed. Unless you opt for the more expensive units. (Minelab CTX 3030 comes to mind.)

Ed/Ohio Dirt Fisher
Hey Danbo. I noticed that you're celebrating a birthday today. Happy one to you. Are you going to treat yourself to a detector as a present ? I hope you are narrowing down your search on your beach machine choice.
Add some money and get a excalibur or CZ21. If you plan to use it inland I would lean towards CZ21.
The CZ is heavy, I hip mount or you can by adapter to mount control under arm, making it more balance.

Both are excellent sandwater machines.

Sorry I do not have knowledge on other machines. But the two I mentioned are known for performing well at the beaches with mineralized environment.

Good luck with your choice and happy belated birthday. Happy

If you really want to go big and all around with more vid, go CTX 3030. But that will even lighten the wallet more.
Reference URL's