Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Old farm foundation in middle of 240 acres
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A friend of mine has 240 acres and he noticed a few stones piled up in like a seller. So I asked if I could metal detector and he said go ahead. He Heard that it was an old sheet form back in the 1800s. Here are some of my findings from that
WOW! Is that a pocket knife? And the IH and cowbell are terrific finds! Hope you get a chance to keep at that site. Looks like it's a winner! Good Luck!

Ed
I have found 4 coins. 3 Indian heads, 1883, 1865, 1863 and a shield nickel, 1868.
The bell is smaller than a cow bell, do you suppose they had "sheep bells"?
Looks like you maybe on an old homestead. Nice finds.
The one knife says "New York knife co"
There is a lot of lead. Some bullets, some melted, rods, pipe looking lead.

Relics
What a great group of finds , that site looks like a winner , I hope you can hit it some more. Love the coins and bell.
Pat
Hey Turkey Hunter

is there anything on that star? Front or back? Markings? Solder from where a pin may have been/etc??

Cool finds btw Yes
Excellent finds! I'd be drooling if I had 240 acres to detect. You wouldn't be able to cover that much property in a lifetime, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun trying to Wink
Here are some of the big pieces of iron but I found in the sheep farm area.
I have really enjoyed seeing the variety of finds from your super site. It looks like you have a real jackpot there and I hope you can explore it systematically and continue to retrieve such interesting pieces. It's rare that you can find a virtually untouched site with such an abundance of treasures, and it points out the value of permissions as opposed to public venues. With regard to some of your other posts, I agree that it is a good idea to keep the landowner appraised of your progress and offering token finds as a thank you is a nice approach. A small shadow box frame with a few button, bullets, or a coin or two would certainly convince the owner of your character and good intentions and go a long way to insuring your access to the site. Or maybe just a little wooden box or jewelry case with a few goodies placed inside.  In my experience owners rarely want much more than an acknowledgement of their willingness to grant permission. Good advice from Joe and Medic. Also I agree that it is not necessary to offer up front to share coins and valuables as it basically locks you in from the beginning if you are a person of integrity. Do go back in the archives and take a look at some of Ron's displays as an idea on how to present something to your hosts.
I enjoyed seeing your water finds too this morning. Diversity is a key to good MDing experiences. The shears and horseshoes in one of your recent photos were a nice find and reminded me of an intact pair I found hanging on a barn wall next to a bunch of shoes when I moved to my current home. Good luck with future finds and keep the pics coming. Nice work!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's