Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Permission suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can you give me some suggestions on asking for permission. Do you offer them your finds, their choice, or what do you guys do? Thanks for any suggestions
(03-08-2017 11:15 PM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]Can you give me some suggestions on asking for permission. Do you offer them your finds, their choice, or what do you guys do? Thanks for any suggestions

It all comes down to personal preference. Ask 5 different detectorists this answer, and you'll likely get 5 different responses.

Me personally, if they grant me permission, I usually ask them if they'd like to accompany me around the property as I detect. This helps assuage any concerns they might be have, or be thinking. Normally they say no, and just ask that I show them what I find after I'm done. I tell them sure, and once again tell them to feel free to come out and watch me as I hunt, and I can even let them try it themselves if they wish.

At no point in time do I ever bring up sharing, handing anything over, etc. No need to open a can of worms if the subject isn't broached. And most likely what will be found isn't very much, or anything earth shattering anyways, so I just don't go there.

After I'm done with my hunt, I simply knock on the door and show the owner everything I found. No tomfoolery. I ask if they'd like to keep anything, and most of the time the answer is no. But I usually insist on them taking something, whether it be a coin, a relic type item, etc., just to show good faith, and so they'll have both a keepsake, and a positive impression of how I operate.

If a homeowner ever asks specifically about a split or a share, I find it would be dumb to say no. There's 2 parts to the equation...the property & the equipment/detectorist. Nothing will be found without both of these ingredients coming together. So, be fair and play ball is my opinion. Just be careful though, as I've heard about some real slick land owners who attempt to squeeze for all they can get. If someone is pushy, or bossy, or tells you you have to turn over everything you find, these situations can be bad. Lots of people watched those dumb detecting shows on t.v., and they came away with the idea that we get rich with every swing of our metal detectors.

I've always looked at it this way...The best hunting with the greatest of potential is on private properties nowadays. And if a land owner wants to enjoy the fruits of what was found on their land, they have every right, and it makes sense for everyone to have a fair share.
Very helpful!! Thanks a bunch!!
Reference URL's