Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: King of Bird Bands Speaks!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I guess I'm getting real good at bird bands because here's TWO MORE today! And a pendant ladies watch, (No chain!), a 78 nickel and 2 flattened round balls. Plus I found a bunch of headstamps, other various modern bullets and a ton of foil and pull tabs. It was sleety, snowy, rainy, but I don't care. Was able to get into a lot of areas that are way overgrown once it starts getting warmer. Oh, and a horseshoe, not shown, which I left on a real, real big rock. Let the rain clean it up. I'll be back through that area eventually!

Have fun out there guys and gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed
Wow,that one has to be a hummingbird band. I'd still report where you found them to whoever!
(03-18-2017 10:17 PM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]Wow,that one has to be a hummingbird band. I'd still report where you found them to whoever!

I will Ohio. It takes about 5 minutes a band, then they send you a certificate for being a good guy. I have about 6 of them to send in. Ones a pigeon racing band and that's another site. When I do all this I'll post the references so if anybody else finds them they can have "fun" posting them too! (sarc).

It's small for sure but it's probably for a Robin or Jay. I've found one like that once before and it was a Robin!

Ed
Here's the link for reporting your bird bands https://www.fws.gov/birds/surveys-and-da...-birds.php
(03-18-2017 10:43 PM)bulletbob Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the link for reporting your bird bands https://www.fws.gov/birds/surveys-and-da...-birds.php

Thanks Bob. Saves me looking it up somewhere here in bookmarks!Yes

Okay. The big bird band is from an Eastern Screech Owl, hatched in 1997 and the little one is from one of my favorite birds, because they can walk DOWN a tree trunk, a White Breasted Nuthatch, hatched in 2008 or earlier!

Adios! I'm going detecting!

Ed
Those aren't Hummingbird bands , they are much smaller . I help one of the 3 banders in IL and it's hard to read the numbers without a magnifying glass.
(03-19-2017 01:36 PM)Ben Town Wrote: [ -> ]Those aren't Hummingbird bands , they are much smaller . I help one of the 3 banders in IL and it's hard to read the numbers without a magnifying glass.

Cool!
Nice work finding out what type of birds these belonged too.
We are enjoying a couple of interesting threads lately from your woods hunting Ed. That pendant was a great find but I am intrigued by the bird bands. Who would have predicted so many? Just goes to show the whimsical nature of detecting, and the good thing is that in addition to a quirky little finds, you get to interact with birders and contribute to nature science. Hail to the King!
Nice pic from Ben too!
Really cool stuff! I know everyone is really focused on the bird bands (which are amazing btw, I gleaned some cool info reading through the replies) but I wanted to ask if you had any more information on that pendant ladies watch by any chance? I've always been a fan of antique pendant watches so I was just wondering if there was a name or any other tell-tale markings on there. Thanks and great pictures Ed!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's