Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Big Brass Ring????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this today about ten feet from a long abandoned farm road. That's exactly the color it is in real life. It's brass and hard as nails, although bent a bit. I was thinking something for oxen or a bull but I have no idea. Any of you relic guys out there know? Thanks in advance!

Ed
Another interesting discovery Ed. My first impression is that it might be the bail to a door knocker. The beveled ends could have been opened just enough to fit inside a small drilled post or perhaps the likeness of an animal head. Had a lion head with a similar bail on my door years ago, though it was a bit larger.
(03-20-2017 09:14 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Another interesting discovery Ed. My first impression is that it might be the bail to a door knocker. The beveled ends could have been opened just enough to fit inside a small drilled post or perhaps the likeness of an animal head. Had a lion head with a similar bail on my door years ago, though it was a bit larger.

Shade, I thought that too. But the left side of the ring as shown is perfectly round. The right side has wear on it, as if used with a rope or cable for a long time. See pic.

Ed
I see what you mean there Ed. But that leaves me fresh out of ideas. We have lots of smart folks here and I'm hoping someone will have the answer for you.
Totally a guess. Didn't they use similar rings to tie horses to?
Gonna guess a rein guide
Reference URL's