Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Real NICE 14K Class Ring! I think I found the owner!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Decided to stick around the park today after work because, well, I really didn't want to go anywhere. (LAZY!)

They converted a 10 acre section of woods East of the main fields about 3 years ago and after looking at some Topo maps over at the Building Department, I decided I'd give it a try because they didn't bring in any fill, just cut down the trees, put in a major drainage system and then moved around the topsoil to the grade they needed for 3 large soccer fields plus a practice and large parking area. So the grass there is sitting right on top of clay. I mean if there's an inch of roots, that's a miracle!

So after finding about a dozen bullets, I get this real strong 51-52, which with the Tornado means it's real, real shallow. And probably a beaver tail. So I scrape away the grass down to the top of the roots and I see this round gold looking rim. Up pops a 1996 Jane Adams HS ring, with a real nice stone. Well that makes my day actually and I give it up from thereon and head for the truck.

Now here's the strange part.

I look up the young lady's name, and it's not some Jane Doe, and get this, she lives about 3 miles from me!!!

BUT WAIT!!!! There's MORE!

Remember that Screech Owl bird band I found a couple of weeks ago. The fella that banded it emailed me TODAY and wanted to know the particulars of exactly where I found it!

And GET THIS! He sent me his email from his work email. It's four doors down from THE FIELDS I work at!

Somebody once said, "There's no such thing as coincidence." But twice in one day? This is spooky!

Have fun out there guys and gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Enjoy!

Ed
It's always great to return a ring , and it's weird when they live so close. I found one that had been lost when it was new in 1975 and it wound up belonging to someone who worked for the same company I do.
   Thanks for being such a great face for our hobby Ed.
   It amazes me that the guy who banded the bird works so close to where it was found. I got the thank you emails from the ones I found and nothing else ,  so it is cool to see someone get some real feedback on theirs.
HH
Pat
Nice gesture if you get it back to the gal Ed but I've kind of changed my tune a bit about being Mr. Nice guy after my last ring return this Fall. Found a fellows class ring from 2008 at his HS and since he had his name inside it was easy to find him . Still in town , a teacher at a local middle school. Nice big ring , 14k , 19 grams , big sucker with about $400 worth of gold melt value. I meet and return the ring,,,he's "appreciative" , says thanks and asks for my address to send me an "envelope". I tell him returning it is it's own reward , the polite thing to say........... never even got a thank you card from Hallmark!

Next time I'm taking the ring to the Gold and Silver Exchange and then telling the poor soul who lost it where they can recover it!!!!
(04-10-2017 08:00 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]Nice gesture if you get it back to the gal Ed but I've kind of changed my tune a bit about being Mr. Nice guy after my last ring return this Fall. Found a fellows class ring from 2008 at his HS and since he had his name inside it was easy to find him . Still in town , a teacher at a local middle school. Nice big ring , 14k , 19 grams , big sucker with about $400 worth of gold melt value. I meet and return the ring,,,he's "appreciative" , says thanks and asks for my address to send me an "envelope". I tell him returning it is it's own reward , the polite thing to say........... never even got a thank you card from Hallmark!

Next time I'm taking the ring to the Gold and Silver Exchange and then telling the poor soul who lost it where they can recover it!!!!

Dusty,

You know that crossed my mind as well. I am fortunate to have my HS ring because of a good Samaritan who found it 15 years later after my goofing around with the girls thing. I don't consider reimbursement for effort. I consider paying it forward. I found something that was clearly lost, and must have been a real keepsake to end up there, in that place. And that's what I'd expect of people as well. Not to dis you, but I think you may have run into a person that really didn't like HS or couldn't understand our relationship to the basic integrity of the hobby. And being that I have worked in Manhattan, around the East Coast, I have found people, not looking for them, that are honest and have a degree of integrity and purpose that shines. Not everyone, understand, because there are those out there who have the other option.

I don't expect recompense or honor from what comes of this. My ethics as a detectorist are to follow. I do. So I know whatever the outcome, I complied. That in and of itself pays respect to the hobby that I endeavor at.

With all do respect.

Ed
Wow, that is a beautiful ring!!! You are going to make someone very happy. I hope she is very appreciative, because the ones that aren't really make people question should I go to the trouble of returning. I have heard hundreds of awesome returns, and quite a few bad experience returning items. However, the only return i participated in was wonderful and heart felt moment. I hope you receive the same kind of appreciation. If they want give you a token of appreciation. You can accept it if you like. If it was me on the receiving end, I would insist.
I used to always decline, and once a lady insisted for me to take her gift. She told me, by refusing I was blocking her blessing for sewing a good deed. So there's the circle we often talk about.

No matter how they respond. Just remember you did the right thing and you will be rewarded oneday.

Please get a picture if you can and thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to hearing how this unfolds.

Good job, and you Rock!YesBeer
Ed,
I always approached the hobby with the same attitude and the opportunity to return something for nothing gets it's enjoyment from the happiness of the "receivee". The irritating thing about this episode is that the guy knew the right thing to do by referencing it and taking my address and then was too lazy to go through with even sending a thank you note,,,if he had just said thanks and walked away I would have attributed it to him just being a cad and not knowing any better. The fact that he's a teacher , molding kids minds somehow makes it worse,, probably a card carrying , liberal , lefty , NEA member to boot.

I'll still be tempted to go the pawn shop the next time and send the losee the ticket but the hard part of justifying that is the next person gets penalized for the actions of this guy and they are totally removed from his crass attitude. Hopefully , next time the next ring will be bigger , purer , unmarked and hit by the lawn mower so I won't have to make the right decision.

Hobbying isn't supposed to be so stressfulWink
Thanks for the really neat story Ed. Congrats on the fantastic find and best wishes for a happy ending on the return. I think most returns are deeply satisfying to both parties, but once in a while you encounter someone like Dusty did and that does tend to sour the experience. Let us know how it goes. I'd like to see a pic of her planting a big kiss on your cheek! You deserve it.
(04-11-2017 03:45 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]Ed,
I always approached the hobby with the same attitude and the opportunity to return something for nothing gets it's enjoyment from the happiness of the "receivee". The irritating thing about this episode is that the guy knew the right thing to do by referencing it and taking my address and then was too lazy to go through with even sending a thank you note,,,if he had just said thanks and walked away I would have attributed it to him just being a cad and not knowing any better. The fact that he's a teacher , molding kids minds somehow makes it worse,, probably a card carrying , liberal , lefty , NEA member to boot.

I'll still be tempted to go the pawn shop the next time and send the losee the ticket but the hard part of justifying that is the next person gets penalized for the actions of this guy and they are totally removed from his crass attitude. Hopefully , next time the next ring will be bigger , purer , unmarked and hit by the lawn mower so I won't have to make the right decision.

Hobbying isn't supposed to be so stressfulWink

Dusty,

Thanks for that. Made me chuckle! But when I find gold I always HOPE it's a wedding band or chain or something. I don't mind waiting for a return email from somebody and trying to get together to return the ring, but I'd rather just ship it out Priority Mail and call it a day! Kind of, "Here's you ring, Bozo!", and get back to detecting. BTW, if this young lady turns out to be the actual owner, she's a special ed teacher in languages! But she's a registered Republican so the Trump sticker on the back of my truck shouldn't be a problem. Chuckle

Ed

(04-11-2017 12:39 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, that is a beautiful ring!!! You are going to make someone very happy. I hope she is very appreciative, because the ones that aren't really make people question should I go to the trouble of returning. I have heard hundreds of awesome returns, and quite a few bad experience returning items. However, the only return i participated in was wonderful and heart felt moment. I hope you receive the same kind of appreciation. If they want give you a token of appreciation. You can accept it if you like. If it was me on the receiving end, I would insist.
I used to always decline, and once a lady insisted for me to take her gift. She told me, by refusing I was blocking her blessing for sewing a good deed. So there's the circle we often talk about.

No matter how they respond. Just remember you did the right thing and you will be rewarded oneday.

Please get a picture if you can and thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to hearing how this unfolds.

Good job, and you Rock!YesBeer

THANKS Up!

No response as yet from her. With the name she has she can be the only one. Right age and background as well. And I don't Rock, I just Detect like a madman! Chuckle

Ed

(04-11-2017 06:43 PM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the really neat story Ed. Congrats on the fantastic find and best wishes for a happy ending on the return. I think most returns are deeply satisfying to both parties, but once in a while you encounter someone like Dusty did and that does tend to sour the experience. Let us know how it goes. I'd like to see a pic of her planting a big kiss on your cheek! You deserve it.

Thanks Shade!

I'll take a handshake though. Glad I could let you envision detecting and the reality. Makes me feel good that what I write has the right effect on people. Even though sometimes I can be a BS'r, (which I got from the trades),it's because if you wanted to be the king on the block it was either BS or Brilliance! But I gave em both! Chuckle

And round and round we go!

Ed
Reference URL's