Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Ornate sword hanger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Went for a quick hunt between husbandly duties the other day. I walked into the field, dug two targets then had to leave. The first target was what I thought was a leash hook. After cleaning the dirt off, I noticed that it didn't look right for a leash hook, and was very ornate. I'd seen them before, but couldn't remember what it was until someone pointed out that it was a sword hanger. It's probably 1850s or so, but could be older. I'm not really sure. If anyone knows, please chime in. Thank you
Not 100% sure but it looks older than 1850s

More like early 1800s to me.
Got no idea on the age but that's a really cool find Relic! Yes

Ed
That's kinda what I thought too MRH, but I didn't want to get my hopes up lol. I think it's pre civil war era, but other than that, I'm clueless. Thanks Ed! Always a pleasure to hear from you!
What a cool find , I would not have known what I had if I had found it. Was it used to hang a sword on the wall or on a belt ?
Pat
I guess the jury is still out on this one lol. For every 3 people that say it's a sword hanger (from a belt) there is one that says it's a horse harness hook. I'm dying to know!
Ok...the jury came back. It's been positively identified as a Leech & Rigdon Saber hook. If you Google that phrase, you'll find a site that shows three of them. The one to the far left is identical. They date to the early 1860s.
Nice

I bet that sucker's worth a couple $$ Happy
Haha about $11 in pristine condition.
Not an "original" like yours is.

The $11 they're selling them for on that site is for their "repo's"

An original period sword hanger like that dug is worth far more than their fakes

I have plain jane ones from the period that I've dug and you can get $45 to $75 a piece for them
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's