Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #10 - Same Park, Slower Method in TRASH!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got away from work early and went off to a park I've done a gazillion times. Haven't hit this area of the park too much because it's LOADED with trash and slag iron from old
parking areas which are now grass. So it's one of those kind of spots where you have to go as slow as a turtle and pick through the signals. Turns out I got a real good signal as a scratchy high tone but the numbers were a little jumpy, between 79 and 86. Now I'm thinking it may be a deep can but I target a spot and dig a plug. About 8 inches down I get a hit on my pinpointer in the side of the plug. Dig out a real crusty blue green wheat. I'm thinking to myself that a wheat like that usually only shows a 78, 79 or 80 and not an 86. I fill the hole, put the plug back all neat and re-sweep. Yep, it's a small spill because now I'm getting a deep 83, 84, 6" away from the edge of my original plug. Out pops a crusty 41 s Merc at around 8"! So that really makes my day because this park is hunted out don't ya know! So I re-sweep again and all I hear is IRON! That was the real DEVIL in the mix.

About a half hour later I get this other weird signal that is high and then midtone and reading between 67 and 71. My cynical mind is saying, "It's a bottlecap wrapped in copper wire!". But at 6 inches out pops this plated navy ring with a crucifix on it. And sorry for the pics because the thing looks real good in natural light, all gold and glittery on the
front but pretty toasty on the band. I should have taken the pic in the sunlight but I was texted an agenda by then and had to get my carcass over to Wally for some stuff.

Both finds were with the NEF Tornado, AT Pro, sense one notch below full, Iron Audio ON and PRO Zero with no discrimination. Ground balanced only once. Real noisy but you have to go real slow. The ring was 20 feet from the Merc.

The Merc cleaned up real good. I have to put my lighting setup back together so I can take better pics. These phones really suck with low light photography!

Have fun out there Guys and Gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed
Nice digs Ed = cool ring Yes
That ring is really cool! How'd you clean the mercury up so nice?
Wow , I Heart the ring , and the Merc. It looks like that big coil is really worth it.
   Thanks for sharing them with us Ed.
HH
Pat
You worked for those Ed! Good job being patient and picking through the junk and getting to the treasure
(05-09-2017 06:47 AM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]That ring is really cool! How'd you clean the mercury up so nice?

Ohio, I use one of those little brass bristle toothbrushes you get from Harbor Freight, gently, almost a buffing action under tap water. Now I'll do this to Mercs, Washingtons, Rosies but nothing that may have value, like that 1917 SLQ. That one just got a water blast from my Waterpick and that's it. That brush is great for cleaning gun parts too.

Ed
Thanks
Super job ODF. Hunting slower. I have adopted this method a little more this year. I run very low disc and listen for those really quick tiny sharp higher tones that don't always repeat. It's been a revelation for sure. Again super job.
Nice and different ring and silver, Congrats ODF!
Nice finds Ed. Looks like it pays to slow down in trash.
Gerry
Reference URL's