Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Pendant pill box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=9711][attachment=9710][attachment=9709][attachment=9708][attachment=9707]I found this today in a small park. It's silver and has a hallmark "RP". It's hinged and has a hook apparently for a chain. Any ideas?
Gerry
Great find Gerry! Man that's old! Hallmarks are a bear! Could be a snuff or keepsake box? Lock of hair maybe? Anybody got any ideas?

Ed
interesting. I wouldn't say either pendent or pill box.  look at that lip it appears to have been part of the original manufacture of it... without knowing very much about these things, my best guess would be a snuff box of some type.
That's a very nice find Gerry, whether pill box or snuff box. Another possibility is that it might be a piece of "mourning" or "sentimental" jewelry, where the owner kept a picture or lock of hair from a deceased person or love interest. It looks as though there is a little "cupid" above the hallmark which might support the locket use. Ed was right on the hallmark ID's. A quick look showed a number of R.P marks like yours from different silversmiths, so you're still left wondering. Thanks for letting us take a guess; it was fun.
Thanks for the replies. I found a couple of snuff boxes on line that looked a little similar so maybe that's what it is.
Gerry
Info on your Halmark--Your appears to be the BOLD one below 1870-80's

Could be pillbox or snuff box that was on a chain and possible stored in the vest pocket vs a pendant. Just a thought.. Cool Find!

Robert Pringle Info

MARKS - HALLMARKS - HISTORY

The business was founded in London by Robert Pringle (I) in 1835.
The activity was continued by his son, Robert Pringle (II). In c.1882 the firm was changed to Robert Pringle & Co.
In 1890 the firm was active with premises known as Wilderness Works in all the branches of the trade, as gold, silver and gem, jewellery making, gilding, plating, refining, assaying, electroplate manufactory and silver-plate making.
The proprietor Robert Pringle (II) was assisted by his sons, James & Robert Pringle (III) (bullion e refinery department), William Pringle (silversmith department) and Edwin Pringle (watch department).
In 1899 Robert Pringle (II) took in partnership his eldest son Robert Pringle (III) and the firm changed to Robert Pringle & Sons.
In 1907 Robert Pringle (II) died, and Robert Pringle (III) was joined in partnership by his brothers William, James and Edwin.
In 1931 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style of Robert Pringle & Sons (London) Ltd.

CHRONOLOGY:
Robert Pringle 1835 - c. 1882
Robert Pringle & Co - 1882 - 1899
Robert Pringle & Sons - 1899 - 1931
Robert Pringle & Sons (London) Ltd - 1931 - c. 1965

STERLING SILVER HALLMARKS
Robert Pringle, London mark entered in 1871 Robert Pringle, London mark entered in 1871.
A similar mark was entered in Chester (c.1887)

Robert Pringle & Sons, Sheffield mark entered in 1892 Robert Pringle & Sons, Sheffield mark entered in 1892
A similar mark was entered in Birmingham, London (1874) and Chester (c.1874)
Robert Pringle & Sons, Birmingham Robert Pringle & Sons, Birmingham
Robert Pringle & Sons, London mark entered 1907 Robert Pringle & Sons, London mark entered 1907
A similar mark was entered in Birmingham, Chester and Sheffield
Robert Pringle & Sons, Chester mark entered 1907 Robert Pringle & Sons, Chester mark entered 1907
Reference URL's