Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: BIG shell casings!???? What Caliber?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got six of these today and am showing the two I brought into the house. Originally I was thinking 410 gauge but they're a little too big and way too short for that. And the ends where the bullet seats are crimped, pressed? Any ideas? I'm thinking 45-70. None of the headstamp markings are legible!!!!! Any clue would be appreciated. Rang up like screw type bottlecaps but an occasional 81, 82 and a high tone.

Ed
Found it! All of them I've found meet the exact case diameter and length. WOW! Sportsman's rifles from mid 1860's until 1873!!! I have found many more since this post. I gotta get a bigger coil! They must have dropped a lot of silver back then!

Good history: http://www.gunsandammo.com/historical/am...enterfire/

Facts and Figures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50-70_Government
That's an awesome find!! I like you knew they were casings but I had no idea what exactly
Nice research We find those in our sites and actually thought they were later than that. thanks for the info.
(06-08-2017 12:25 PM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]That's an awesome find!! I like you knew they were casings but I had no idea what exactly

I found 2 more today. One was complete and another pretty smashed. I'm glad you got some info on it and that's the fun of unknown stuff. Like an adventure into the past. Some of those rifles still exist and are premium gun collectors items. Being as old as I am I wish I would have paid a little more attention when I was younger because those shells I find today remind me of a good friend of mine who collected antique and surplus rifles. Long, long ago, he invited me into his basement. And as he turned on the lights, my eyes beheld hundreds of rifles, M1's retired for the M16's from VFW's, Springfields stacked in cones; Muskets and old Winchester Repeaters wrapped in greased burlap, stacked on pallets. Awesome sight for those young eyes. He asked me if I would like one. I said I wouldn't know which to have and never took up the offer, although we often hunted rabbit together in the Northern hills and mountains of PA for years after the offer. There was no internet then. Hindsight is 20/20. Take care OTH!

Ed/ODF

(06-09-2017 05:01 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Nice research We find those in our sites and actually thought they were later than that. thanks for the info.

Tweren't nuthin Ron! And I appreciate the comment from such a source! Thanks guy!

Ed
Reference URL's