Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Not a Newbee to the hobby....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just join this forum and look forward to talking to you all. Sorry but could not get into my bio here to leave some more info. about me. I have been enjoying treasure hunting of all kinds for 49 years now and there is no better fun in my book. I own East Texas Metal Detectors where we don't just sell detectors, but we repair most all brands except foreign detectors. Have this business since 1982 and stock over 3000 coils and have parts and know how to repair even the older models. If that isn't enough, we have a continued interest by many folks for a completely gone thru Re-Furbished detectors so they look like new that we sell with manual and warranty.
We are always glad to help anyone doing any type of treasure hunting or if you have any problem with your detector. Keith
Welcome to the forum from NE Ohio!!! Great to have you aboard! And I also have a Minelab SE Pro that needs some work. You able to do that?

Again, welcome to the forum and have at it!

Ed/ODF/Ohio Dirt Fisher!!!
welcome Keith, He is a good guy and does great work, I have sent a few detectors there and have sent a few customers his way.
Good to have you
Thanks for the great replies and thanks for being a new friend both you Ohio and Steve.

It is a very sad thing now about your need Ohio for your Minelab. So many are having a need for service with little or no help just like you. I'll just tell you the truth about that. Minelab wanted all the repair for themselves, so they refuse my request for parts of prints so to help others. They set up a number of repair stations here in the US over a period of time and as far as I know, there isn't one of them left today. A long with that, is they stop stocking parts for earlier models 6 or 7 years old and older. Some of the manufacturers have been doing this, yet do still have repair outlets that has some parts left to help users out. Their reason is that they don't have to pay inventory tax at the end of the year if they carry less inventory, so those owning older units say 5 years and older end up having to buy another detector unless we can help them out. Also, the circuit boards in most detectors today cost pennies to make and that as made most detectors throw-away in their minds as most stuff being sold in America. Repair has just about become non-existent, just give them another unit and don't pay the overhead of a technician and parts. So many are listening to the new college students showing them how to turn a larger profits, even if it hurts the end buyer whether it was meant to do so or not. There you have it in a nut shell.

I had the owner of the largest detector distributor many years ago, go to bat for me to become a Minelab repair center at a national Minelab get together. Minelab said NO! I had found out it wasn't their repair stations fault why detectors were not being repair at that time, but the factory when I called them overseas. He told me that we do not buy parts for repair, we buy parts for making new detectors. Then he told me to just tell the customers to throw the old detector away and buy a new one from them. My question was; why would they want to buy a new one from you if you don't have parts to service the one they own now?

Sorry to get off about this, but we have been servicing and helping folks since 1982, it hurts to tell them that Minelab and Deus are the only two brands we do not service.
Hope my excal. II doesn't go bad!! Did you read my post under show and tell about my AT pro? It went bonkers for a while. Have you come across that before? Oh, by the way, welcome to a really good site with good people who have helped and been patient with me, fairly new to all this.
Yes, in your manual it tells that if your detector goes nuts sometime, to turn on the detector, then like your going to turn it off, only you hold the button in until you hear a double beep. That means you just wiped all the statics off the Eprom (brain of the detector) and it is clear of any statics that would make it erratic to operate. Statics are caused by dragging you feet across a carpet, sliding across a certain type material of a couch getting up or even a lighting outside miles away will put statics in the air for the detector to sometimes pick up.
There can be a number of reasons why it gets erratic on you and if this does not work then there is another problem, possibly water in the coil, always check your coil around the edges for cracks along the seem. Water in the coil will evaporate but each time it gets more water in it same problem will occur, it will need to be resealed. Like I said a number of other things can cause that problem. Just contact me if you have more problems. Keith
Hello Keith: Please let me join the others here in welcoming you to our forum. Glad to have you and hope you'll feel at home. I read your response about detector repair and found it very interesting.  It is a fact that we live in a throw-away world now and I am happy to see you bucking the trend by offering repair services to compliment your sales part of the business.
Hi Keith!!

Always good to have some one like you around to help out.

By the way folks if you need detector control boxes, handles shafts, etc. for DIY projects give him a shout.
Reference URL's