Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Gold coins........ NOT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I built my house in 1992 and as far as I know and could tell there was never a house on my land. I was bored so I decided to get the at pro out and look over next to the woods where dozers never ran while building. I found two little items (octagonal) about two foot apart. Later when I was cleaning them did I see what they are. Boy was I excited at first when I seen the Indian with 1852 under it and on the other side was "California Gold 1/2" and the other had lady liberty with 1853 date and the other side said "California Gold". It wasn't until I got out the jewelers loop did I see the word "replica" on it! Boy my heart sank. I don't know anything about them as I haven't had time to look them up!
Very interestingI
California fractional gold coins are cool. They would have been an odd find in Ohio though. There was a lack of coinage in California during the gold rush and local jewelers came up with these as an answer. They were made for a few years as coinage before the federal government outlawed the practice. They were then made as souvenirs and may still be being made today. Some of the non coinage ones were still made of lower karat gold , some were plated and others are just brass.
   I researched this when I found one at a long abandoned home site , it was gold plated and did not say replica. It was a real heart breaker. It would have been a head scratcher of a find here in Michigan as well , had it been the real deal.
   I think they are still an awesome find even if it was a bit of a let down for you. Ebay is loaded with replicas of them , I would be afraid to buy one without someone who is knowledgeable about them which is sad , a gold coin of such a low denomination would be a great way for poor boys like me to own some gold coinage.
   Congrats on a great conversation starting find , they will still look great in your displays.
Pat
That is a shame but still a great find! A gold coin is on my bucket list but I have my doubts about ever finding one here in the NE Ohio area. I really don't think they were in circulation a lot around here and have never heard of anyone finding any. So actually for you to even find a plated replica, that's a great find!

Ed
(07-21-2017 09:49 AM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]California fractional gold coins are cool. They would have been an odd find in Ohio though. There was a lack of coinage in California during the gold rush and local jewelers came up with these as an answer. They were made for a few years as coinage before the federal government outlawed the practice. They were then made as souvenirs and may still be being made today. Some of the non coinage ones were still made of lower karat gold , some were plated and others are just brass.
   I researched this when I found one at a long abandoned home site , it was gold plated and did not say replica. It was a real heart breaker. It would have been a head scratcher of a find here in Michigan as well , had it been the real deal.
   I think they are still an awesome find even if it was a bit of a let down for you. Ebay is loaded with replicas of them , I would be afraid to buy one without someone who is knowledgeable about them which is sad , a gold coin of such a low denomination would be a great way for poor boys like me to own some gold coinage.
   Congrats on a great conversation starting find , they will still look great in your displays.
Pat

Thanks for the info. That's very interesting!

Here's a pic of them with a couple mercury dimes and a seated half dime to show how small they are
Just out of curiosity, are they plated aluminum, nickel or silver? They look pretty shiny under the plating but not much corrosion. If they are aluminum the AT will pick them up as being pretty hot. Like a silver dime or quarter. I know that those aluminum gas station tokens really get my heart a thumpin' at times! And yikes, they are small.

Ed
(07-23-2017 11:22 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Just out of curiosity, are they plated aluminum, nickel or silver? They look pretty shiny under the plating but not much corrosion. If they are aluminum the AT will pick them up as being pretty hot. Like a silver dime or quarter. I know that those aluminum gas station tokens really get my heart a thumpin' at times! And yikes, they are small.

Ed

I honestly don't know. They have some weight despite their size. VERY inconsistent on the AT pro. Every swing gives me a number from 45 to 61. 52-54 being the most prevalent.
(07-23-2017 01:01 PM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-23-2017 11:22 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Just out of curiosity, are they plated aluminum, nickel or silver? They look pretty shiny under the plating but not much corrosion. If they are aluminum the AT will pick them up as being pretty hot. Like a silver dime or quarter. I know that those aluminum gas station tokens really get my heart a thumpin' at times! And yikes, they are small.

Ed

I honestly don't know. They have some weight despite their size. VERY inconsistent on the AT pro. Every swing gives me a number from 45 to 61. 52-54 being the most prevalent.

Well I'd hazard a guess at nickel then because of the weight. Nickel is also an excellent substrate for gold fill or plating. And 52-54 is nickel all the way from my experience. Thanks for responding!

Ed
Nevertheless OTH , those are cool finds. Just leave the dirt on them and fool your friends....LOL.
Reference URL's