Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Same Area, Washington Twins #29 & 30!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went back there today and got started in a different direction but ended up in basically the same area. Exactly the same scenario. Got 5 wheats in the first 2 hours, of various dates. Then hit upon a spot with about 4" of dried leaves in a long length of about 200 feet and about 20 feet in width, a slight downhill slope and lined pretty loosely with bigger trees. Almost looked like an old wagon road. At about hour 3, I get this real loud 84,85, 86 and I'm thinking oh goody, another can top. But it's a real strange signal. It's tight in a spot but won't hold from any direction. I have Iron Audio on and I'm not getting any iron, but I am getting pull tab 53, 54 intermittently. The primary tone sounds really good and I'd been digging can tops most of the trip so I say let's dig it. After the second sweep and plug, I hit a 44 Washington. Resweep and now I'm getting a nickel, pulltab, 3 inches away from the 2nd plug and it turns out to be a 51 Jeff. Resweep again and holy cow I'm getting another 83, 84, 2 inches away from the very first plug. I'm thinking Merc or Rosie but out pops a 36 Washington! Man Ohhhhh' Manischewitz, it's a spill, that's why the numbers are so jumpy!!! Resweep again and get another nickel pulltab signal. At this point I'm saying to myself over and over again, "War Nickel, War Nickel......" But out pops a 37 Buff. Well I'll take that for sure. Incidentally, I found a 22 Long shell casing 1 foot away from this spill.

And also today I remembered and took a blue plastic shopping bag with me. I found that spot where I buried my pouch yesterday and loaded up the bag. And my pouch was full by the first hour, again! By the time I got back to the truck, four hours later, both the blue bag and my pouch was full. I feel good about that. In the sense that I'm cleaning up the woods a bit and I'm also eliminating a lot of signal noise. Sooner or later it's going to rain a bit and soak up the ground. The last thing I need in this area is noise because who knows what's lurking beneath?

And when I crossed back over the river, there were three kids swimming in the deep spot, diving. They saw me with my detector hopping across and yelled, "Hey, you find anything?" I stopped on a rock and told them 2 silver Washington quarters. They came over and I showed them. They WOWED at the 36. Couldn't believe I found something that old. They were trying to dig out a shopping cart! Guess we were all on the same venue today!

Have fun out there Guys and Gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed
Hi Ed. Nice finds and an interesting story.  I'm doing a little catch-up here today after a week or so away and I'm happy to see you, Leo, and Turkey Hunter still plugging away.  Congrats to all on the good hunting. Love the pics of the silver still in the ground. Been a long time since I've had the actual pleasure myself.
(07-31-2017 10:46 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Ed. Nice finds and an interesting story.  I'm doing a little catch-up here today after a week or so away and I'm happy to see you, Leo, and Turkey Hunter still plugging away.  Congrats to all on the good hunting. Love the pics of the silver still in the ground. Been a long time since I've had the actual pleasure myself.

Thanks Shade! This was an area I've never hunted before. Ground was mostly hard as a rock with the plugs beneath the thin layer of peat turning to dust. Lot of thin broken shards of sandstone as well. Ton of mineral noise. I think it may have been detected before by someone because can tops don't just lay on top of fallen trees and magically end up hanging from low branches. But whoever was there a while back, well, they missed a lot of stuff or gave up, or who knows, maybe they thought they cleaned the place out!

I hope you can get out. It's out there. You just have to put your coil over it and be a believer in digging hunches! We really need some rain here. Dry as a bone!

Ed
Reference URL's