Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #31 FTY, Near the Washingtons! Year of the Crash!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got out today for about 2.5 hours. Went straight up to that area where I found those 2 Washingtons. About 50 feet from that dig and 1 hour into a pattern, which is a real bear because of all the fallen tree branches and trunks, got a real good 83,84,85 signal under four inches of leaves. Swept the leaves away and signal persisted. First hole empty so I reswept and cross referenced. That Tornado coil is great but in iron infested soil is a chore to target properly. Found a signal I liked and on the second attempt had a loud and clear one again, dug another dusty plug at about a depth of 4" and to the bottom right had a great tone with the White's Bullseye. Cut out a half moon on that and swept the dirt and rocks out by hand and out popped a 1929 Merc! So from this larger area alone, which I've never detected, I've pulled 5 silvers, 11 wheats, 3 buffs and a 51 Jeff. That includes a 45 Wheat I found today on the way out.

And the thing is this. I have not yet found any clad, memorials or IH's. Very few shotgun headstamps, a couple of 45 bullets and a few 22 casings. I hauled out another bag of can tops, bottle caps and cans. I'm going to wait for some rain to go back there again. A friend of mine, who is eight years older, told me that in the 50's and 60's he and an old friend of his, who is now long gone, learned how to trap Fox in there from a real old timer. He remembers that area well and even recognizes the map. He could actually show me where they placed traps. Ain't that something? My friend was astounded that I crossed the river too, because back then there was no housing development or road to get there. They crossed the river for pelts.

Things sure have changed.

Have fun out there Guys and Gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed
Nice score Ed Yes
Keep the silver coming!!
I've enjoyed reading this and your subsequent river adventures. Glad to see you getting good rewards for your efforts. Is it easier for you to cross the river to hunt vs coming in from other side, or do you just like the wading?
It's much easier crossing the river Shade. I could wade across the river it's so low but it's a lot easier and less messy than just hopping from rock to rock. I prep up by spraying my pant legs shoes and socks with repellent. Ticks are quite worrisome here and wading across defeats the purpose of the defense. If I go river searching it's in shorts and sandals. But then I stay in the water until my trek back to the truck. Gotta be real hot out though. Still no real deluge of rain and the water is real low.

Ed
Reference URL's