Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Civic Holiday Weekend Hunts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spent a few hours each evening at a site I have hunted before.
Saturday evening hunt:
Nokta Impact

Used the small coil, Di3, 14Khz mode.
Did well gridding an area......getting real good picking out the coins between the trash and the coil works well for surface to about 5" on dime size coins, even on edge or slanted in the ground.
I was hoping for some gold or silver today. After 2 hours all I have to show is a bunch of clad. Three Toonies, some quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies, probably amounts to about $8. Didn't meet my daily hunt quota, to find at least one Loonie.

Sunday evening hunt:
Nokta Impact

Used the 5x9 coil, 20Khz, Di4 mode
Grid hunted another area. Detection depth was deeper as can be expected. Using 20Khz was a bit busier and found some really small canslaw and foil at 4-5".
About half way thru the hunt switched to 14Khz, so I was able to use my pinpointer to locate those deeper targets and those on edge or slanted that were off to the side of the hole. I like to dig as small plugs as possible, so the pinpointer comes in handy.

I did find one Canadian partly silver dime dated 1968.

Tried some of the other modes briefly towards the end of my hunt. Interesting. For Canadian coin shooting still think Di3 works the best, quieter operation than Di4. Don't rule out Di4. A bit deeper, the extra 4th audio tone makes it peppier giving some extra audio info. Did notice in either mode best to keep Disc level down to 3 for Can. clad, otherwise think, found you lose a clue to there's a coin, due to bouncy numbers. Did find around $10

Sat and Sun finds

[attachment=9933]

Monday evening hunt:
Deteknix Quest Pro

Last hunt for this Civic Holiday weekend. Decided to take the Quest Pro for a walk this evening. Had the 9x11 coil on that I custom EMI shielded and epoxy potted sometime last year spring. been awhile since I used it, most of the time the T2 5" coil is on it. This evening I wanted to cover a large area of ground in a short period of time. Somewhat cherry picking.......... Found a bit over $7, a silver ring, stainless ring, and a silver cross. At one point got a really good signal, dug down about 4" and this tiny stud earring pops up. Look close, the rose is plastic, did the detector pick up the metal stud? Wow. Checked the hole again, there was a penny about an inch deeper. So really picked up the penny.

[attachment=9934]
Well that's the way to do things as far as hunting is concerned Sven. I see so many fellas go willy, nilly all over the place swinging like they're in a sand trap at the golf course that it makes me chuckle! And by the looks of it that Impact and a good pattern over old ground is making a difference. Big congrats on all the finds and it really makes you wonder what else could be there. I've run into a couple of sites like that where slow and determined hunting in a pattern are a positive answer to finding things that I passed over multiple times. I'd have to say the user is the major difference in the machine however. Although the many variable choices of the Impact may make the user better. So carry on and keep on discovering! Yes

Ed/ODF
Good job!!
Please keep posting your settings on the Impact, I just bought one and I'm still learning it!
(08-08-2017 08:11 PM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]Good job!!
Please keep posting your settings on the Impact, I just bought one and I'm still learning it!

Good for you!!!
Run Di3 with factory settings, 14Khz, 5x9 coil or the smaller one for at least 12 hours where there a lot of various targets.
Listen to the audio, pinpointing using the PP toggle like any other VLF and the target will detune and will be centered on the flat spot just in front of the coil ears where the lower rod attaches. Watch the ID numbers, it won't take long to sort out a bunch of trash numbers. Higher 81-84 target ID numbers with a small scratchy pinpoint signature will probably be a very small piece of canslaw. Foil can be 18 or abouts and 29-30.

Once you get the feel of how Di3 operates and ID's one day, there will be a confident click with it. Then do the same with Di4.
Get to know the Impact using just the small and 5x9 coils. There's always plenty of time to fiddle with setting and modes once you first put some time in as mentioned.

One word of thought, see how the Impact balances for you with those coils when adjusted for your height. The coil should be level with the ground. You may find it maybe a bit coil light and a bit of downward wrist pressure is needed. I have bad wrist, so it does induce some pain. The same wrist is my digging hand. A longer extended lower shaft will help solve the problem. The way the grip on the Impact is, I have larger hands, its a bit small in diameter. I will tend to grip tightly with all fingers. This also results in a bit of coil lightness. Relax the first two fingers of the hand next to your thumb, the coil will drop level. I have a handle mod, that I thought up of that solves the problem and the mock-up feels real nice. Just have to get one made up now.

You will also want to read this thread  http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=243135
Have fun
Wow those clad totals are awesome. I love hearing about the new machine , even though it is not on my priority list to get a new detector. It looks like that is a sweet machine.
HH
Pat
(08-08-2017 08:47 PM)Sven TreasureLinx Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2017 08:11 PM)ohioturkeyhunter Wrote: [ -> ]Good job!!

Good for you!!!
Run Di3 with factory settings, 14Khz, 5x9 coil or the smaller one for at least 12 hours where there a lot of various targets.
Listen to the audio, pinpointing using the PP toggle like any other VLF and the target will detune and will be centered on the flat spot just in front of the coil ears where the lower rod attaches. Watch the ID numbers, it won't take long to sort out a bunch of trash numbers. Higher 81-84 target ID numbers with a small scratchy pinpoint signature will probably be a very small piece of canslaw. Foil can be 18 or abouts and 29-30.

Once you get the feel of how Di3 operates and ID's one day, there will be a confident click with it. Then do the same with Di4.
Get to know the Impact using just the small and 5x9 coils. There's always plenty of time to fiddle with setting and modes once you first put some time in as mentioned.

One word of thought, see how the Impact balances for you with those coils when adjusted for your height. The coil should be level with the ground. You may find it maybe a bit coil light and a bit of downward wrist pressure is needed. I have bad wrist, so it does induce some pain. The same wrist is my digging hand. A longer extended lower shaft will help solve the problem. The way the grip on the Impact is, I have larger hands, its a bit small in diameter. I will tend to grip tightly with all fingers. This also results in a bit of coil lightness. Relax the first two fingers of the hand next to your thumb, the coil will drop level. I have a handle mod, that I thought up of that solves the problem and the mock-up feels real nice. Just have to get one made up now.

You will also want to read this thread  http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=243135
Have fun

I just received the machine Monday. It feels good in my hands and swings good for me. I believe it feels lighter than my AT pro both with stock coils. I dumped out my poker chip testers with the different coins and trash on them and ran the detector over them in the different modes just to hear them. Ive been reading the manual this week and that link you posted is really helpful and interesting! Thanks
Reference URL's