Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: New Area - New Finds! #36 > 38, IHP's, Relics!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been away here for about 2 weeks and really haven't been detecting. I hit it for an hour or so last weekend but it was hotter than all get out and the ground was hard as a rock. Been tremendously busy at work too with all the college kids heading off to school and some new hires and grass v. weather in the soccer business. No

Actually got swinging by 2 pm today in an area I always pass through to get to another area. The reason I never bothered to detect it is it's mostly bogs and there are a lot of downed trees and branches all over the place. It hasn't rained much here and those bogs are now dry as a bone. So I gave it a shot determined to take my time and see what was there.

This is no joke. 5 minutes in I get this moderate 72, 73 with a blip of a high tone. Dig it up and HOLY CRAP it's a 1909 IHP, in pretty good shape! Start getting into my terminator detecting mind zone and within 20 minutes, find 2 more IHP's, one an 1881, I think, and one toast, and a toasted wheat! The 1881 was 8 inches down and it took me a good 10 minutes of sweeping and digging to find it. The ground was like super compressed flour with roots. I may bring a hammer the next go at it to pound on the digger!!!!

Then out of nowhere I get this real great 83, 84 that wants to be a 79 at times and 2 inches down a 52 d Rosie! I say to myself, this can't be possible!

Then the lock, buckle, key (?), thing, and then boom, another 83, 82, 80. I dig up a 64 Memorial. Resweep. 83, 84. Dig. 3 Inches a 51 Rosie!!!!! Resweep. A 56 wheat and a foot away, a 57 Jeff!!!

I notice that if I'm nearer the bigger trees (And these are some big ones!) I seem to find the coins. I spy a tree a ways away and make my way over there. Another bigger buckle on the way. 8 feet from the tree I get another loud and clear 83, 84 with no variation. I can even find it with my White's Bullseye pinpointer before I dig. 3" down, a worn but very legible 1919 Merc!!!

It's then about 7:00 pm and I can barely see the screen in the shadows with the overcast skies so I pack it in and head for home. The Bogs were good to me today!

Have fun out there guys and gals and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed
Well done Ed, and glad to see you posting again. The lock is a real neat item and a fine bit of Americana--congrats. I think it might be a good candidate for some restorative work. It would be great to see if you can get it operating again.
what a great day of dirt fishing Ed. Great coins and buckles , but that lock is awesome. It looks like the bog is a great place to hit , provided the remnants of Harvey don't get it too wet.
   I am looking forward to your next post.
Pat
No Harvey today guys and thanks. Looks like temps in the upper 60's and overcast with more of a mist than any major rain. Going back there today to widen my area but I think I covered it fairly well. You never know though!

Ed
Nice haul there Ed Yes
Well I did it again!!! These are # 35, 36 & 37. I was checking my numbers before posting another couple of finds and found the error in my master file of coins. And I was sober too! Crap, I gotta go get my eyes checked!

Ed
ODF, my main detecting buddy is a sucker for finding old locks. He would be incredibly envious over that lock. Congrats on the finds.
Reference URL's