Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Nice Old Sterling Fork, IHP, BIRD BAND! Wheats!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Slow on the discoveries last few days but here's a culmination of what I found. The 1904 IHP was the ONLY coin I found yesterday. 2 Wheats, a bird band and an old nickle plated dog ID tag, old because the phone numbers on the back have no area code, on Friday. And today, after 5 hours of tromping around the woods a 34 gram Sterling fork, and it's a bucket lister because I've never found a sterling fork or knife. 3 spoons but never a fork!

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!!
Love the IHP and the bird band. The sterling fork in the woods is a head scratcher , I bet the guys wife was proud of him for using that outside of the house.
Pat
(10-08-2017 08:11 PM)Digsit Wrote: [ -> ]Love the IHP and the bird band. The sterling fork in the woods is a head scratcher , I bet the guys wife was proud of him for using that outside of the house.
Pat

Honestly Pat, I actually think a couple on horseback had a picnic in a secluded section of a bridle trail a long time ago. Say 1910 or teens. And that, in and of itself, is interesting because it shows me something. Although most of the area is so overgrown now, there must be other areas there where people did the same thing. Trouble is it's 1.5 miles to get there, about 1.5 miles of searching around, and another 1.5 miles to get out. That's a lot of walking and up and down hills and valleys. All for a fork. And an idea that may work but I'll have to wait for Winter, when everything dies off. It was a tough one today. And bullets galore! All .30 cal and big. 100's of them. And Thanks!

Ed
Another nice mixture of finds Ed. You may have been a little disappointed to work so hard "all for a fork", but consider this: it was a first for you plus the equivalent weight in silver quarters or halves makes it a super good discovery. Congrats and good luck when you go back later. The picnic idea seems very plausible to me.
(10-09-2017 08:16 AM)shadeseeker Wrote: [ -> ]Another nice mixture of finds Ed. You may have been a little disappointed to work so hard "all for a fork", but consider this: it was a first for you plus the equivalent weight in silver quarters or halves makes it a super good discovery. Congrats and good luck when you go back later. The picnic idea seems very plausible to me.

Thanks Shade and your right. I shouldn't be carping about it. It was a nice find. After finding a slew of old silver coins through the past week or so, I guess I got a little spoiled. I think the picnic idea works. It's a real secluded area. It's such a hike though! I'm still feeling it today!

Ed
Nice ODF, your digging quite the pile of silver. Congrats!
Over a ounce of silver! Sweet! Congratulations and I would continue sniffing out those romantic settings. Happy
(10-11-2017 08:21 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Over a ounce of silver! Sweet! Congratulations and I would continue sniffing out those romantic settings. Happy

Thanks and I will Up. But it's such a long and rugged hike. There's another way to get in but it's all downhill for a ways. I surmised the situation when I was in there and I don't think I could easily get back up easily. (Pardon the pun.) The old photos show a bridle path that leads to that area from another spot along a ridge, but the new Google Earth photos don't display it, even with the new Spring foliage being sparse and showing the ground. It may be very overgrown by now. I'm going to try later this year but I don't have my hopes up. A very interesting area and well traveled by today's hikers, horseman, joggers and dog walkers.

Some things never change.

Ed
Reference URL's