Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: old house site forks over the goodies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After being turned down a few years ago when I asked for permission to detect the yard of the house my Wife and I rented when we were first married , I was surprised when I ran into the current owner at the local Post Office and he said if you still want to hit my yard come on over.
This site was a gas station starting in the late 30's through the mid 60's , when it was torn down and the current house was moved to the lot. I was not detecting twenty some years ago and I thought I had lost the chance to swing a coil over such a great site.
I only had about 3 hours to work with so I focused near the cement pad where the old gas pumps once stood and worked my way towards where an old photo showed where the entrance to the building was (unfortunately the house stands where the building once stood).
There was a lot of junk (can slaw , bottle caps , pull tabs and nuts and bolts) but I did pretty well. I got a 1929 SLQ , a 44 and a 42 Merc , a 1943 P war nickel and a 58 wheatie.The only interesting relic I found was a silver plated Rogers and Co. baby fork ( I polished it up when I got it home...) Add in $2.06 in clad and it was probably my best hunt of the year. What a way to end a silver drought , most of the sites I have hit have either been pounded or had fill dirt brought in.
I am using the camera on my surface tablet because my camera was stolen while I was on a weekend trip so pictures are not very clear sorry. At least I finally have a great hunt to post.
HH
Pat
Fabulous hunt Pat! Yes 3 silver days are far and few between and you got 4! That baby fork is something too. So glad you got the permission and were able to get out. There has to be more there. You probably just scratched the surface. Keep removing the junk and I'm sure more good stuff will turn up!

Ed
Woweee Pat! What a great way to break out of the detecting doldrums. Super good day and I think a good site worth hitting again. I'm sure Ed is right on the possibility of more nice targets mixed in with the junk. I'm glad you caught a good break when the owner changed his mind. Keep us informed when you go back. Clever phrasing on the thread headline too; nice touch!
Nice silver, Congrats!
Congratulations Pat! Heck yeah, that is fine hunting there. So glad the home owner decided to let you have at it. Hopefully there will be furture hunts too. Wishing you the best of luck! Happy
Thanks guys , the weather has not been cooperative , it has been cold and rainy for a few days now , but I do intend to hit this site again. I hope others are getting out and have fun stories and finds to post.
HH
Pat
Reference URL's