Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Recent Tokens and Silver Item Found - Need Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just found these items and would like to know if anyone has any information on them. Would appreciate if anyone can date or tell me any other information. Thank you Fred [attachment=10095][attachment=10096][attachment=10097][attachment=10098}[attachment=10100][attachment=10101][attachment=10102][attachment=10103][attachment=10104][attachment=10105]
Nice finds Fred! Yes I can't tell you anything about the trade tokens but I'd be willing to bet that the silver item is either a real fancy money clip or possibly a book page marker. Seeing it's personalized it could be either and was probably received as a gift. Does it have any kind of silver hallmarks? That could shed some light on it. And if you could put a modern quarter next to it for size reference, that would help as well. Although from the size of the grain of the wood in the background, it must be too small for a money clip. By the design, it's got to be a vintage piece. Have you cleaned it thoroughly? It almost looks plated and silver can be a real fooler until it's cleaned good from my experience. I'd try the library or a local historical society for the trade tokens, if you're from Kansas that is.

Ed/ODF
(10-27-2017 05:45 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Nice finds Fred! Yes I can't tell you anything about the trade tokens but I'd be willing to bet that the silver item is either a real fancy money clip or possibly a book page marker. Seeing it's personalized it could be either and was probably received as a gift. Does it have any kind of silver hallmarks? That could shed some light on it. And if you could put a modern quarter next to it for size reference, that would help as well. Although from the size of the grain of the wood in the background, it must be too small for a money clip. By the design, it's got to be a vintage piece. Have you cleaned it thoroughly? It almost looks plated and silver can be a real fooler until it's cleaned good from my experience. I'd try the library or a local historical society for the trade tokens, if you're from Kansas that is.

Ed/ODF

Thank you for the reply. Here is a picture next to a silver quarter that I found. You may be right it may be plated. When I found it, it was so dirty you
couldn't even tell what it was. I cleaned it up but it seems it needs to be cleaned a bit more. I hope the picture helps.[attachment=10106]
That's a good reference and thanks for the reply! I now can't say either as to my guesses. But it is a fabulous find and I'm sure a few others here have something to interject. Happy Hunting Fred and keep em' coming!

Ed/ODF
I agree it looks like a money clip.
The trade tokens are usually pretty easy to track down and the fact that the one you found doesn't jump right up tells me it may be a rare and unusual one.
Send your pics to this guy. He's more of an expert on Southwest tokens but if anyone can track it down it will be him,,,,buys them as well.
Good find!!
bkiser86@yahoo.com
(10-27-2017 10:30 PM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]I agree it looks like a money clip.
The trade tokens are usually pretty easy to track down and the fact that the one you found doesn't jump right up tells me it may be a rare and unusual one.
Send your pics to this guy. He's more of an expert on Southwest tokens but if anyone can track it down it will be him,,,,buys them as well.
Good find!!
bkiser86@yahoo.com

Thank you for the information. I will be sending him an email. I have found a total of 8 tokens so far so he will be getting lots of pics. Thank you also to both of you for
taking a guess as to what the clip is. It is a baffling find for sure.
Congrats on several really interesting finds. Nice pics. There are mentions online of Walter Pangburn and William Meeker and their business interests in Kansas in the early 1900's. That's the great part of trade tokens---a tangible contact to everyday life in America from days gone by. I think the other posters are correct on the money clip ID. Check out a few Victorian collectible sites and you will see similarly ornate clips, many of them personalized, as in your case. Good luck on recovering more memorabilia pieces, and looking forward to seeing them here.
Congratulations on the nice finds! Thanks for sharing and good luck! Happy
Reference URL's