Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: A Little Silver, A Little Gold!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know why this happens. I go to a place where I think I'll find pretty much nothing, as I have several times before, and low and behold up come two different finds 100's of yards apart. Now the reason I went there in the first place is because I'm lazy. I knew of a spot where I found a bunch of wheats a while back, but never any silver. Since I switched to the smaller 5x8 coil yesterday, I figured that I'd go back there and nose around the taller grasses and bushes, of which there are hedgerows of, mixed nicely with pultabs, can tops, beer bottle caps, bottle caps and various and sundry other scrap a detectorist runs into. (Oh yeah, golfballs too. 7 today including 2 Calloways like BRAND NEW!)

So my wish comes true once I get swinging. A Wheat and Memorial in the same hole. Both pretty crusty and not shown. Then about 10 feet away I get this real nice, crisp 76, depth about 4 inches. My brain is saying zincoln or bottle cap but since I just got in there I dig it. I see muddy gold and at first think it's one of those gold tinted pulltabs. So I pick it up and to my surprise it's a gold wedding band! But I'm saying to myself, now wait a minute, this size gold ring doesn't ring up at 76!! Upon closer inspection with the magnifier I read 10K G F!!! Ahhh Haaa! Now I recall that little locket I found about 3 weeks ago. It was gold filled as well and rang up EXACTLY the same. Gold is gold so I press on now a little more aware of the signals.

In a completely different area in the same park I'm poking around a grand crop of old pines, some 2 feet in diameter! I've been through there before and really never found anything other than partying leftovers. But about 20 minutes in I'm swinging 3 feet behind one of the real big pines and I get this faint high tone that is jumping from 79 to 86, sometimes 89. On targeting it it's very faint but fairly tight but deep. Now I'm thinking maybe a bullet because the brass encased 9 mm and .45's will do that but also sometimes show the 50's and 60's in the digital. I cut a pretty big plug out at around 6" deep. Right at the bottom of the hole I get a solid hit on my pinpointer, but the target is still deeper. I pop out about 2 more inches of soil and up comes a Sterling Catholic religious pendant. And it's small, smaller in diameter than a dime. It weighs in 1.68 grams. As a comparison, a Roosie weighs in at 2.53 grams. But I'm happy! Now I know if there are any 3 centers down there, I could possibly find those as well.

And just for reference that ring weighs in at 1.76 grams. I don't know how much gold that is at 10K G F. I don't even think there's a way to figure it out!

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF
That "GF" sure is a disappointing addition to the "10 K" inscription (it has bummed me out a few times) , but that is still a great find. Congrats on the silver cross as well.
HH
Pat
Nice saves there Ed Yes
Hi Ed. Nice finds again. Like you, I knew very little about what "gold filled" meant, so I did a little reading about it, and though it's not as good as solid gold, it's not so bad either. And like you say, gold is gold. Well done!
Congratulations on a good hunt. Regardless the ring is much better than finding a piece of trash. The excitement and then the realization is a rush. We all know the dreadful abbreviations, GF, HGP, KGP, etc.

We also dread seeing a ring with forever love inside. Since they have always been junkers. Lol
The pendant is a keeper for sure! I keep the junkers too, not sure why. Happy
(11-13-2017 11:11 AM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations on a good hunt. Regardless the ring is much better than finding a piece of trash. The excitement and then the realization is a rush. We all know the dreadful abbreviations, GF, HGP, KGP, etc.

We also dread seeing a ring with forever love inside. Since they have always been junkers. Lol
The pendant is a keeper for sure! I keep the junkers too, not sure why. Happy

Thanks everyone and thanks Up! Forever Love means I have the love but just not the cash to buy a real ring! It works I guess? Awyyhhh; someday's the bear gets you and someday's you get the bear. It's like that ring I've been looking for for my boss, who's a volunteer in the organization and needed something to put on his resume'; now he's wearing a titanium ring and his wife told him that if I ever find the real one, it's going to sit in one of her dresser drawers and he'll wear it temporarily at his funeral!

Such is life! But she's got a good point with all the rings people find out there!

Ed
Reference URL's