Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #58 CLEAN 1887 S Seated Dime + Other things!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Finally got out today and didn't know exactly where to go and thinking pretty hard about it. So I'm traveling down the road, thinking, (Smoke coming from my ears!), in the old truck, and the light ahead is green so I breeze on through not realizing that I had to turn right back at the light to get where I was going to start from zero. I realize it about a minute later and say CRAP! Well, okay, that means I can do another area further down and hope for the best.

Stop at an area that was never really great. Fabulous to detect because it's a large forested site with not much overgrowth so it's real easy to swing. I'd been there about three or four times and didn't expect much on this trip. There are a lot of main trails, footpaths and deer trails but I'd done some of it and decided to opt for the Fall leaves and the trees. Still have the 5x8 coil on. Now I'm on the West side border of the area and not getting much except for the usual pull tabs and beer or soda bottle caps, in some rather remote spots. I come across this real good and loud 75, 76 signal that just says, "You better dig this one!". 1905 IHP! Okay. I'm an hour in and this is a good sign.

Keep working the West side without much luck. Get out of that area and work around the middle. Bingo! 2 Wheats and a 63 Canadian penny, in three different spots combined with old soda bottle caps and foil balls! All within a 15 foot circle! 10 minutes later, a Girl Scout compass!!! I think I may be in a lucky streak! Scout (pun) the area for another half hour and nothing!!!

Getting to be about 4 pm by now and I start heading for the truck! Pretty dark as the clouds are getting thicker and I don't want to get stuck out there in the woods with rain on the way and have to resort to my flashlight to get back, so I double time it. I make it back pretty quick, still about 4 or 5 hundred yards from the truck at around 4:15 and decide that I'm close enough to safety that I should try and do the Northern edge of the area, which is the same scenario swing wise. First off I get a couple of Headstamps and figure this is about par. Work the area a bit in the more open spots, away from the island bunches of raspberry bushes a small saplings. I get this real good 81,82, 83 in a small area that has a couple of small 2" tree branches covering it. Clear it up and am now getting the signal tight and strong. Pop a plug about 6" in diameter and only about 4" deep. Pretty crumbly plug and the pinpointer says nothing in the hole. In a clump next to the plug lays a ball with a signal in it. Open it up with gloved hands, and I see silver! My brain says got to be a Merc but I see ONE DIME and flip it over to see my favorite Lady, SEATED!!!!!! WOO HOO!!! Take pics and continue to really cover the area.

8 feet away I get this real strong 46! Real tight! Under about 4 inches of real strong small roots out pops this button. No field pics of this one. And I have no idea what it is. No back marks and I may have damaged it during the dig.

I got back to the truck from a 3.5 hour hunt when it was just starting to get dark. Dusk, I'd guess. I thought to myself, "This kind of day is what metal detecting is all about.", and headed for home!

I included the cleaned pic (with my thumbs on it rubbing it gently under hot running water) of the seated so you can see the detail a little better.

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF
What a grand surprise when I checked in tonight; that seated dime is a really superb find! I'm not experienced in grading, but I'd be willing to wager it would rate a high Very Fine. You get a pat on the back for that one Ed. Continued good luck to you as there is still good hunting time left in the year.
WOW! Beautiful seated, Congrats!
Big time Congratulations! Love that seated, and that might be tough to beat! But if anyone can it is you. Good luck!!! Happy
Congrats on the nice seated dime Ed Yes

Cool button too. no makers marks on the back? What does it say on the front?
(11-13-2017 04:36 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats on the nice seated dime Ed Yes

Cool button too. no makers marks on the back? What does it say on the front?

Thanks and sorry MRH, the back is toasted but does have a shank bent over. I can't make out whats on the front. Something & Something. Was hoping somebody would chime in!

Ed

Now that you got me wondering about it, I tackled cleaning the button up a bit. I think it says C-C-C & either STL-RI or SIL-RY, and the top is ? I G (BIG 4, maybe?) Wasn't there a CCC for people to work (which FDR set up) on who needed a job during the depression? I also think that it more than likely is STL - RI which makes more sense as in St. Louis - Rhode Island! The back is toast. Shows some gilt though very little. Photo can't see it. Here's some new pics!

ED

I GOT IT!!!! YesYesYesYes The Big 4 Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railway Hence the use of the RY for Railway! Was absorbed into New York Central RR in 1906!!!!!! I found the dime the guy lost! Probably there trapping. The place is surrounded by a huge deep Beaver heaven bog!!! YesYesYesYes

Here's Wikipedia on it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland,...is_Railway
That seated is one beautiful coin , congrats. I was waiting to get home to post that the button was cool , but now seeing that you have figured out it is a railroad button it is even cooler.
Thanks for sharing more great finds Ed.
HH
Pat
Great detective work there Ed!

Pretty cool Yes
Darn good deciphering work Ed! I tried to figure something out but was hopelessly lost. Nice bit of history there.
Reference URL's