Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Something else from my permission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We went back to our 1845 house permission again yesterday.. 4 or 5 inches down was a leaf spring... tiny... 4 1/4 inches long (following the curve) by 1 1/4 inches wide by 1/8 inch thick...
I have no idea what it fits and can't find anything that small... can you help me identify this one too...Please...
Sorry I didn't get it cleaned up yet.Blushing

[attachment=10191][attachment=10192]
could this be a butt plate from a rifle? It would be on the back of the stock and would rest against your shoulder when you were firing it.
Pat
I thought a riffle gun butt has two holes..this has only one in the middle...

updated picture...
(12-25-2017 11:46 AM)maryej13 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought a riffle gun butt has two holes..this has only one in the middle...

updated picture...

I'd have to say some kind of base component to a leaf spring assembly. I don't know of many butt plates that have just one hole. Usually they are made of cast brass with an upper tongue. And the single butt plates are 2 holed. And yours looks like it's made of iron, which again leans me toward a leaf spring component. But seeing it came from a homestead area I'd go with leafspring.

Ed
I don't know what they're called but I find them by the truckloads in farm fields. I think they were part of a tractor
rig at one time but that they don't make/use anymore. I've dug a good hundred or more of them over the yrs.
I have found them as well and deep. Sorry don’t know what they are either.
Reference URL's